hardly vs never

Hi.

A: Are you excited to go to the Ben Lee concert?
    B: Yes, he's my favorite musician. I can ( ) wait!

a) very b) hardly c) never d) almost

I know the answer is b) ,but I wonder if c) is possible.

Doesn't the structure " I can never V ~ " exist ?

Could you give me your explanation?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: hardly vs never

It might work, but you've indicated you are really like Ben Lee. Why would you say you could not wait?

You would use "not" rather than "never" because we're speaking of a one-time thing; never implies forever. Compare:
    I broke my leg and I cannot walk.
    I am a parapalegic. I can never walk again.

If you mean you "just can't wait" that's different. That's an idiom to express how eager you are for the concert. "I just can't wait" is one of those phrases that cannot be literally translated as it means almost the oposite of what it looks like. It means you are having difficulty being patient, waiting. It can also mean exactly what it says, as in: "My bus is coming and he's still not here to say good bye. I must go; I just can't wait any longer."

Re: hardly vs never

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    It might work, but you've indicated you are really like Ben Lee. Why would you say you could not wait?

You would use "not" rather than "never" because we're speaking of a one-time thing; never implies forever. Compare:
    I broke my leg and I cannot walk.
    I am a parapalegic. I can never walk again.

If you mean you "just can't wait" that's different. That's an idiom to express how eager you are for the concert. "I just can't wait" is one of those phrases that cannot be literally translated as it means almost the oposite of what it looks like. It means you are having difficulty being patient, waiting. It can also mean exactly what it says, as in: "My bus is coming and he's still not here to say good bye. I must go; I just can't wait any longer."
    Thank you very much.^^