1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

Naming of streets and roads etc.

I am confused and don't know where to go to find out what the differences are in street names. There are Roads, Streets, Avenues, Parkways, Courts, Places, Loops, and many others. I recall being taught that Roads and Streets don't dead end. I believe there were some that meant the road was not a through street. It seems to me a circle realy meant that the passage way would reconnect with the passage way it came from at some point. Oh, yah, there is Drive....All this is quite confusing. Is there anywhere I can go that would attempt to clear this up for me? Is there any formallity to these?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naming of streets and roads etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidge View Post
    I am confused and don't know where to go to find out what the differences are in street names. There are Roads, Streets, Avenues, Parkways, Courts, Places, Loops, and many others. I recall being taught that Roads and Streets don't dead end. I believe there were some that meant the road was not a through street. It seems to me a circle realy meant that the passage way would reconnect with the passage way it came from at some point. Oh, yah, there is Drive....All this is quite confusing. Is there anywhere I can go that would attempt to clear this up for me? Is there any formallity to these?
    Hi, Gidge! Welcome to the forums! I hope you will become a frequent visitor!

There is no rhyme nor reason as to how roads get their names. See the following link for additional possibilities. The Straight Dope: What's the difference between a street, a road, an avenue, a boulevard, etc.?

Cheers,
    Amigo