Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 468
    #1

    "Wash-up"

    Is there any other meaning for this word other than those defined, such as cleaning dishes, in a dictionary? Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #2

    Re: "Wash-up"

    Yes -
    washed up
    washout
    a wash i.e. financial term used to show that all things were equal
    After expenses, the event was a wash.

    Can you be more specific?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 468
    #3

    Re: "Wash-up"

    Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Yes -
    washed up
    washout
    a wash i.e. financial term used to show that all things were equal
    After expenses, the event was a wash.

    Can you be more specific?
    Could it mean "to state some facts which vindicate oneself in an argument"? Is it a jargon or what?
    "In the wash-up, it became obvious that you were wrong."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #4

    Re: "Wash-up"

    That's

    it all came out in the wash

    that means everything was revealed, much like when something is washed (or cleaned) you can see it for what it really is.

    Yes, it is an idiom or expression.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #5

    Re: "Wash-up"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepurple View Post
    Is there any other meaning for this word other than those defined, such as cleaning dishes, in a dictionary? Thanks.

    OED:
    wash-up, n.
    Add: 4. A follow-up discussion or debriefing; also, an outcome. colloq. (orig. Naval).

    1961
    ‘J. WINTON’ Down Hatch viii. 108 ‘My first, and my most pleasant, duty,’ said CincRock at the Wash-Up, ‘is to welcome you all here and to congratulate you on your excellent showing during [Exercise] “Lucky Alphonse”.’ 1985 National Times (Austral.) 22 Nov. 4/1 The formula was complicated. But in the wash-up, the loan agreement between AMRI and Firglers was extinguished. 1986 Business Educ. Today June 19/1 A leaf should be taken from the university seminar approach book where in between introductory lecture and group wash-up there is a period of individual fact-finding and researching.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 468
    #6

    Re: "Wash-up"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    OED:
    wash-up, n.
    Add: 4. A follow-up discussion or debriefing; also, an outcome. colloq. (orig. Naval).

    1961 ‘J. WINTON’ Down Hatch viii. 108 ‘My first, and my most pleasant, duty,’ said CincRock at the Wash-Up, ‘is to welcome you all here and to congratulate you on your excellent showing during [Exercise] “Lucky Alphonse”.’ 1985 National Times (Austral.) 22 Nov. 4/1 The formula was complicated. But in the wash-up, the loan agreement between AMRI and Firglers was extinguished. 1986 Business Educ. Today June 19/1 A leaf should be taken from the university seminar approach book where in between introductory lecture and group wash-up there is a period of individual fact-finding and researching.
    In addition to these, I find another definition of "wash-up" in Encarta Dictionary.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Past Tense of "Set up"
    By thunder in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2008, 16:24
  2. "summing up" vs "in short"
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2008, 00:43
  3. meaning of "each other up"
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2008, 13:15
  4. "Pick up the key" or "Pick the key up"?
    By starhu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-May-2007, 21:57
  5. phrasal verb "get up"
    By sumita681 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2006, 06:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •