Smile me/I

Hi there!

What is better/correct to say:You and me/You and I???

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: me/I

Hi-

It depends on what you are saying.

"You and me" works as an object (direct/indirect/ or object of preposition): The economic problems in the world might not be important to Bill Gates, but the make a difference to people like you and me.

"You and I" works as a subject: You are I are going shopping after work (whether you like it or not!).

Sometimes English speakers are trying so hard to be correct that they actually make mistakes with this and overgeneralize the use of "you and I".

I hope this helps.

take care,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by MaryTeacher View Post
    Hi-

Sometimes English speakers are trying so hard to be correct that they actually make mistakes with this and overgeneralize the use of "you and I".
    Yes, as you probably know, this is called 'hypercorrection'. I once heard the co-author of a best-selling series of course books say (at a cocktail party promoting a new course book of theirs): "I want to thank you all for the wonderful welcome you have given John and I".

The fact that the subjective and objective 2nd person pronouns are both "you" doesn't help make the issue any clearer.

I gave it to you.

You gave it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    The fact that the subjective and objective 2nd person pronouns are both "you" doesn't help make the issue any clearer.

I gave it to you.

You gave it to me.
    There is an easy way to determine which form of the personal pronoun to use. The problem only arises when you have two personal pronouns (or a noun and personal pronoun) co-ordinated by and, for example: you and I/me; John and I/me

All you have to do is to cut out the you and in your sentence (or the noun+and) and you will know straight away which form of the pronoun (I or me) you have to choose:
    He gave it to you and I/me -> he gave it to I / he gave it to me -> he gave it to you and me

I should like to thank you for the wonderful welcome you have given John and I/me -> I should like to thank you for the wonderful welcome you have given I / I should like to thank you for the wonderful welcome you have given me I should like to thank you for the wonderful welcome you have given John and me .

Another thing to know is that you can't have "I" after a preposition + this type of structure with and: He sent it to [you and] I (where to is the preposition, of course.)