Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Unregistered

What do you call a person who doesn't know the answer but says "I knew it" when I say

What do you call a person who doesn't know the answer but says "I knew it" when I say the answer.
    Or
    a person who doesn't want to do what I ask but says "I was going do it" when I finish the job. For example, Tim please take out the trash. In a minuate mom. He still doesn't do it so mom does it. When she finishes the job, Tim says" I was going to do it, mom"

Re: What do you call a person who doesn't know the answer but says "I knew it" when I

Annoying?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: What do you call a person who doesn't know the answer but says "I knew it" when I

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    What do you call a person who doesn't know the answer but says "I knew it" when I say the answer.
    Or
    a person who doesn't want to do what I ask but says "I was going do it" when I finish the job. For example, Tim please take out the trash. In a minuate mom. He still doesn't do it so mom does it. When she finishes the job, Tim says" I was going to do it, mom"
    In first case call that person "Omniscient".

And in second case, call the person, "You are always a bit late".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Palestinian Territory
      • Current Location:
      • Palestinian Territory

Mmmm

It is hard a bit!

I think you can call it: CARELESS or something like that

Somerset Maugham had a name for this type of person: "Mr Know-all".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    Somerset Maugham had a name for this type of person: "Mr Know-all".
    But this is a Mr Know-all-in-hindsight. I don't think we have a word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    But this is a Mr Know-all-in-hindsight. I don't think we have a word for it.
    Know-all…BrE informal someone who behaves as if they know everything. KNOW-IT-ALL. AmE
    Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, 1995

Know-all, know-alls. In informal British English, if you say that someone is a know-all, you are critical of them because they think that they know a lot more than other people. The American word is know-it-all.
    Collins Cobuild English Dictionary, 1995

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

It's not exactly what you mean, but I think many would consider such a person a "shirker" - so, why not call an apple an apple?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    Know-all…BrE informal someone who behaves as if they know everything. KNOW-IT-ALL. AmE
    Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, 1995

Know-all, know-alls. In informal British English, if you say that someone is a know-all, you are critical of them because they think that they know a lot more than other people. The American word is know-it-all.
    Collins Cobuild English Dictionary, 1995
    I know what a know-all is. But the original question was about a person who only knew things after the knowledge had been given. "Know-alls" generally do know something, and usually give a wrong opinion or a half-right opinion if they don't know the answer.
    I'm not sure how Somerset Maugham used it. Perhaps he used it as the original poster described.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I know what a know-all is. But the original question was about a person who only knew things after the knowledge had been given. "Know-alls" generally do know something, and usually give a wrong opinion or a half-right opinion if they don't know the answer.
    I'm not sure how Somerset Maugham used it. Perhaps he used it as the original poster described.
    I take your point. I think we were talking at cross purposes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast