Student or Learner
I would like to know the correct way of using zero article. Using articles is a big problem for learners of English. They seem small, but quite powerful. For example, if you use definite article 'the' before an uncountable noun for specific purpose, it is applicable. But, for a general purpose definite article is not necessary. But I have seen sometimes zero article is used before a countable noun. Normally, I have known that a countable noun must have indefinite article 'a' or 'an'. But, for some of the book titles or names they normally omit definite or indefinite articles.
They say," Land of ......." or " Portrait of ...."
Cay you kindly explain me about using zero article? It will be very grateful for me.
1. General meaning – life, water
2. Abstract nouns – education, love
3. Places in general – France, Peru
4. Streets, squares – Newton Street
5. Place (person)+airpot/ station/ university – Yezin Agricultural University
6. Games / sports –tennis
7. Language – English
8. Academic subject – Physics
9. Meals –breakfast
10. Noun + number – Platform 5
11. A place we always go to – to school, at home, in bed
12. Days, months – Sunday, January
13. Movement or transport – by bus, on foot, by plane, by air
14. Exclamination with countable / uncountable noun- What sad news!
Hope that help you.