could ever have to

"Lee embodied the noblest elements of this aristocratic ideal. Through him, the landed nobility justified itself, For four years, the Southern states had fought a desperate war to uphold the ideals for which lee stood, in the end, it almost seemed as if the Confderacy fought for Lee; as if he himself was the Confederacy... the best thing that the way of life for which the Confederacy stood could ever have to offer." (Bruce Catton;The Bedford Reader)

I have no idea how i should understand this meaning in red color.
    'Could' indicates possibility,right?
    and 'have to' must mean 'nessecity' or 'certainty of a writer' ? But combined this meanings, i can't figure out what it means. ^^

Thanks for the help.... *

Re: could ever have to

Quote Originally Posted by jonah2 View Post
    "Lee embodied the noblest elements of this aristocratic ideal. Through him, the landed nobility justified itself, For four years, the Southern states had fought a desperate war to uphold the ideals for which lee stood, in the end, it almost seemed as if the Confderacy fought for Lee; as if he himself was the Confederacy... the best thing that the way of life for which the Confederacy stood could ever have to offer." (Bruce Catton;The Bedford Reader)

I have no idea how i should understand this meaning in red color.
    'Could' indicates possibility,right?
    and 'have to' must mean 'nessecity' or 'certainty of a writer' ? But combined this meanings, i can't figure out what it means. ^^

Thanks for the help.... *
    The "to" does not belong to "have". It is the infinitive "to" that goes with "offer": "the best thing that the way of life for which the Confederacy stood could ever have [to offer]." It would mean more or less the same thing if you worded it like this: "the best thing that the way of life for which the Confederacy stood could ever offer."
    Does this help?

Re: could ever have to

Yeah, Thanks alot.