Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
United States
What is the exact meaning of "I'm onto you"? I've heard from TV series but couldn't find its meaning on any dictionaries.

One more question, if I didn't bring the article as the professor assigned, I told him "I didn't come up with the article this week." Is it able to convey that I forgot to bring it? or it would convey that I looked for the article but I couldn't find the right one? I'm not really get the exact meaning of it or I might use it in the wrong situation.

Please help. :lol:

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
'onto someone' means to be close to/or having discovered the truth about an illegal or undesirable activity that someone is engaging in.
'undesirable' covers a multitude. If someone is trying to cause trouble for someone, they may confront the person with, "I'm onto you, feller-me-lad. I know your little game. Keep it up and you'll be sorry."

compare
'be onto something' meaning to have an idea or information that is likely to lead to an important discovery. Often used in movies about the reporter sniffing out a story for a big scoop, and he has a hot lead - 'he's onto something' that could lead to the exposé of a big shot.

'come up with' means to produce something, especially when pressured by time, or challenged; 'to deliver the goods'. Everyday, a political cartoonist has to read the news to appear in the next day's paper, and come up with a satirical cartoon comment on the news before the paper goes to bed.
'goes to bed' = is printed.

Last edited:

supada

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
United States
'come up with' means to produce something, especially when pressured by time, or challenged; 'to deliver the goods'. Everyday, a political cartoonist has to read the news to appear in the next day's paper, and come up with a satirical cartoon comment on the news before the paper goes to bed.
'goes to bed' = is printed.

Right.... that's why the professor looked a little lost when I said that. :lol:

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.