• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

family, walk,whatsoever

Dear teachers,

I have three questions to ask:

No.1
    My other manages the entire____, including taking care of my grandfather.
    a. family b. household
    The key is "b". I agree. But I think "a" is also possible. Is that right?

No.2
    I see no objection whatsoever.
    In this sentence "whatsoever" can be replace by "whatever". But there are much fewer examples of "whatever". Does it mean in most cases "whatsoever" is used?

No.3
    There is nothing like_____ as a means of keeping fit.
    a. walking b. walk
    The key is "a". I agree because it suggests action. But is "b" possible if it suggests a concept?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: family, walk,whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    dear teachers,

i have three questions to ask:

No.1
    my mother manages the entire____, including taking care of my grandfather. this sentence is a bit awkward, but it doesn't affect my answer.
    a. Family b. Household
    the key is "b". I agree. But i think "a" is also possible. Is that right?
    that depends on who you consider to be a part of your "family". If your whole family lives where you live, then family is possible. But if you consider people such as uncles and aunts who don't live with you to be part of your family, then family is not the same as household. "household" is the place you live and all the people who live there.

no.2
    i see no objection whatsoever.
    In this sentence "whatsoever" can be replace by "whatever". i would not use "whatever" here; "whatsoever" sounds much better. but there are much fewer examples of "whatever". Does it mean in most cases "whatsoever" is used? for an example like this, yes. But "whatever" is commonly used in other situations. 'you can buy whatever you want here.'

no.3
    there is nothing like_____ as a means of keeping fit.
    A. Walking b. Walk
    the key is "a". I agree because it suggests action. But is "b" possible if it suggests a concept? no, "walk" is not correct here. Even 'a walk' is not as good as "walking".

looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi, 2006,

that depends on who you consider to be a part of your "family". If your whole family lives where you live, then family is possible. But if you consider people such as uncles and aunts who don't live with you to be part of your family, then family is not the same as household. "household" is the place you live and all the people who live there.
    It seems to me your explanation of "family" is the same with "household". Could you please explain what's wrong with my understanding?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Hi, 2006,

It seems to me your explanation of "family" is the same with "household". Could you please explain what's wrong with my understanding?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I don't know what your understanding is; you didn't say.

No, "family" is not the same as "household". The people of a household are all the people who live there, some of which may not be family members.
    On the other hand, a family member who doesn't live with you, such as an adult son or daughter, is not a member of your household.

And remember, "household" also includes the living spaces and possessions of the people who live there.

But sometimes the people in one's family and the people in one's household are the same.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi 2006,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand your explanation. But I don't understand why "household" is the correct choice. "family" refers to people who have blood tie or married to a member of a family whether they live together or not. If "household" is the correct answer then does it mean: My grandfather lives in the same place (I think "place" means "house". Does it include "neignbourhood")with us. "family" is not correct because if my grandfather lives far away my mother can't take care of him. It seems the choice depends on whether my grandfather lives in the same place as I do or not. Here in China, people in the countryside live in houses while the majority of residents who live in cities live in apartments. If my grandfather lives in an apartment in another building then I can't use "household". If he lives in the same apartment then "household " is correct. Is that right?In other words why "family" is not the correct choice?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I don't know what your understanding is; you didn't say.

No, "family" is not the same as "household". The people of a household are all the people who live there, some of which may not be family members.
    On the other hand, a family member who doesn't live with you, such as an adult son or daughter, is not a member of your household.

And remember, "household" also includes the living spaces and possessions of the people who live there.

But sometimes the people in one's family and the people in one's household are the same.
    Last edited by jiang; 30-Oct-2008 at 03:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

hi 2006,

if "household" is the correct answer then does it mean: My grandfather lives in the same place yes, otherwise "household" could not be correct.

(i think "place" means "house". yes does it include "neignbourhood")with us. no "family" is not correct because if my grandfather lives far away my mother can't take care of him. yes, but maybe your grandfather doesn't live far away.

it seems the choice depends on whether my grandfather lives in the same place as i do or not. yes here in china, people in the countryside live in houses while the majority of residents who live in cities live in apartments. but they are both households. if my grandfather lives in an apartment in another building then i can't use "household". that's right. if he lives in the same apartment then "household " is correct. Is that right? yes
    in other words why is" family" not the correct choice?
    family can be the correct choice if your whole family lives reasonably close to where 'you' live, so that your mother can manage them.

the more i read that test question, the more i realize that it is not a good test question, and i don't think we should spend much more time on it. The main thing you can learn from it is what "household" means.

it's not a good question because you can't know how many family members there are and where they live.
    we are just working backwards from the 'fact' that "household" is given as the correct answer.

it's also not a good question because we have to make guesses about what managing and taking care of means.
    looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi 2006,

I am sorry to have bothered you so much. Thank you very much for your explanation and your patience. Now I understand it. The reason I have to discuss it is that it might included in a test paper. I can of course simply memorize the key but I want to know the reason for it instead of simply getting a mark so and I have to make sure I understand it.

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 30-Oct-2008 at 11:00.