• Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

appreciate

Hi,

I want to know about "appreciate". I often confuse the use of that word, in the passive form or active form. "I appreciate...." or "I am appreciated...". Please explain to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by Si Thu View Post
    Hi,

I want to know about "appreciate". I often confuse the use of that word, in the passive form or active form. "I appreciate...." or "I am appreciated...". Please explain to me.

"Appreciate" has several meanings (which you can look up in the dictionary).
    I'll discuss the main one.
    If you appreciate something that a person does for you, it means you are grateful, thankful to the person, and what they have done has benefitted you. For example, you could say "I appreciate your reply". You can appreciate a person, and a person can therefore be appreciated; but it's usual to use it for actions or behaviour that a person has performed for you.
    If you said "I appreciate your reply" to me, I might feel "My reply has been appreciated, or I am appreciated".
    But you'll rarely need to use the passive form, since it's not something you generally say to other people. You will normally want to express your appreciation to another person for something they did for you.
    It's much easier to use the active voice "I appreciate your answer" rather than to use the passive "Your answer is appreciated", but they mean the same thing.
    Here are some examples:
    "Oh, you remembered my birthday. I really appreciate that".
    "I appreciate your doing the shopping for me when I was sick last week".
    Some signs "We appreciate you/r not smoking"; "Donations will be appreciated".
    At the end of a question here: "Any replies will be appreciated" or "I will appreciate any replies.

If in doubt, use the active voice, and say what you appreciate. When you understand that fully, you can think about whether you are appreciated or not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

Thank you Raymott, I do appreciate your reply and it is really helpful.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Si Thu View Post
    Thank you Raymott, I do appreciate your reply and it is really helpful.
    You're welcome. I appreciate your appreciation.