Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #1

    Question cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Hello!

    cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Thanks!

    The assistant producer sidled up to me with a distinctly cat's-got-the-cream expression on her face. 'Phil Vickery fancies you,' she said. 'Oh, really?' I said. 'Which one's he?'
    'You know, the one you call the osteopath.'
    Phil Vickery had joined the Ready Steady Cook team about a year after me. But, odd as it might seem, I had never really noticed him. When you're in the depths of despair, as I was with three young children and a dying marriage, coping is about all you can manage.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #2

    Re: cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello!

    cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Thanks!
    It means smug and self-satisfied like ... well, like a cat who's found your cream pie. The guy feels this way because he knows a secret that the woman doesn't know. Obviously there's some background between these three people for this to be important to him.

  3. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #3

    Re: cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Hello Raymott,

    Thank you for your reply. I suppose most Chinese cats do not eat cream or cream pie.

    Can people understand me if I use the phrase in spoken or writing English? I had done the research via Google but found little usefulness about it.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #4

    Re: cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello Raymott,

    Thank you for your reply. I suppose most Chinese cats do not eat cream or cream pie.

    Can people understand me if I use the phrase in spoken or writing English? I had done the research via Google but found little usefulness about it.
    Yes, you could use the expression, but you'd have to get the context right. You can say "He looked like the cat who got the cream". But the people you were speaking to would need to have some idea why. It's an expression you could easily get wrong!

  5. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #5

    Re: cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Hi Raymott,

    Thank you for your answer again.

    Then I'd like to drop it from my inventory of vocabuary.

  6. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi Raymott,

    Thank you for your answer again.

    Then I'd like to drop it from my inventory of vocabuary.
    If I were you I'd keep it, though in a different form. In the UK it's quite common to refer to a smug-looking person as 'looking like the cat that got the cream' (in fact I used it myself last week*), but I agree that 'cat's-got-the-cream' - as a hyphenated adjective - isn't idiomatic.

    b

    *I'm cheating here, because I used it to describe a cat who had been given some out-of-date cream to eat up (it was slightly joking), but the fact that I used it at all shows that it is used - though referring to people.

  7. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #7

    Re: cat's-got-the-cream expression =?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    If I were you I'd keep it, though in a different form. In the UK it's quite common to refer to a smug-looking person as 'looking like the cat that got the cream' (in fact I used it myself last week*), but I agree that 'cat's-got-the-cream' - as a hyphenated adjective - isn't idiomatic.

    b

    *I'm cheating here, because I used it to describe a cat who had been given some out-of-date cream to eat up (it was slightly joking), but the fact that I used it at all shows that it is used - though referring to people.
    Hello BobK,

    Thank you for your comment. Then, I decide to take it back. When in Rome, do as Romans do- In case I communicate with a Briton, I can use it.

Similar Threads

  1. Cats
    By wuwei in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-May-2008, 12:25
  2. How to express this?
    By belly_ttt in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2007, 07:14
  3. Can someone help editing this little topic for me please!
    By nyim20 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2005, 07:52
  4. cats again
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2004, 22:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •