• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

twice

Hi there,
    "the prices change within an hour and when you return to the shop,the price has already gone up, twice as much as before"
    Does twice as much as before mean that if I paid 1 pound before now it costs 2 pounds?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Re: twice

Hi!

The sentence you gave is not very explicit. Therefore it's difficult to answer your question. As I see it, it could have two meanings. Either your assumption is right, or the "twice as much as before" refers to the increase (of the price).

That would mean, that if the last increase was one pound, you would have to pay now two pounds more (than before).

Hum.. as I read it again, I'm pretty sure now, that the second meaning is the right one. It refers to the price's increase - not to the actual price itself.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by carla guaraldi View Post
    Hi there,
    "the prices change within an hour and when you return to the shop,the price has already gone up, twice as much as before"
    Does twice as much as before mean that if I paid 1 pound before now it costs 2 pounds?
    There's a literal meaning which LeMoyne has given (it will cost 3 pounds), and a probable intended meaning. This latter would be that the price has doubled, as you say. But you need to accept that when a person says something like this in a conversation, they are not talking in a mathematical sense. It's hyperbolic.

If we are speaking mathematically, it could mean that the recent price rise was twice the previous price rise, and you'd need to know what that was before you could work out the current price.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by carla guaraldi View Post
    hi there,

does "twice as much as before" mean that if i paid 1 pound before, now it costs 2 pounds?
    for it to mean this, the sentence would have to read '...the price has already gone up to twice as much as before.'