Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #1

    Question "BBC" or "the BBC"

    Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand were suspended by the BBC today following the storm over offensive phone calls made to actor Andrew Sachs.
    Ross's Friday night TV chat show, his Saturday morning Radio 2 show and Brand's Saturday night Radio 2 programme will not be broadcast.
    Source: the Daily Mail

    Hello! If I refer to "BBC", should I put "the" before "BBC"? Same question to UK-based "Daily Mail". And should I italicize "the"?

    Thanks!


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    #2

    Re: "BBC" or "the BBC"

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Source: the Daily Mail

    Hello! If I refer to "BBC", should I put "the" before "BBC"? Same question to UK-based "Daily Mail". And should I italicize "the"?

    Thanks!
    Yes, you should put "the" before both of them. You dont italicize them.

    Re the BBC, the rule is that if you pronounce each letter separately when you pronounce it (B-B-C) then you have to put "the" before it.

    If, on the other hand, you have an acronym like NATO or UNESCO where you pronounce the name as if it were a word, then you don't put "the".

  2. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #3

    Re: "BBC" or "the BBC"

    Something is all the same puzzling me. Why am I used to hearing 'on BBC'? And not 'on the BBC'?

  3. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #4

    Re: "BBC" or "the BBC"

    Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    Yes, you should put "the" before both of them. You dont italicize them.

    Re the BBC, the rule is that if you pronounce each letter separately when you pronounce it (B-B-C) then you have to put "the" before it.

    If, on the other hand, you have an acronym like NATO or UNESCO where you pronounce the name as if it were a word, then you don't put "the".
    Thank you very much, Naomimalan.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: "BBC" or "the BBC"

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    Something is all the same puzzling me. Why am I used to hearing 'on BBC'? And not 'on the BBC'?

    Is there something following BBC: on BBC programmes; on BBC news; on BBC podcasts?

  4. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #6

    Re: "BBC" or "the BBC"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Is there something following BBC: on BBC programmes; on BBC news; on BBC podcasts?
    Indeed, On BBC world news


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #7

    Re: "BBC" or "the BBC"

    In that case "BBC" is acting as an adjective.

Similar Threads

  1. "The reason that" or "The reason why"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2009, 06:04
  2. Is it ok to say "the Brits" or "the Yanks"?
    By newbie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2008, 20:53
  3. some lyrics of "The Lion King"
    By danieletpeggy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2006, 06:31
  4. "The Smiths" vs "The Smith's"???
    By Catherine C. in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2005, 08:02
  5. "THE united states" or "THE netherlands"
    By violeta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2005, 03:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •