since I was 10

I quoted it from a booklet:

Being raised and educated in Canada since I was 10, the MSc EPHM has definitely given me a more in-depth perspective on local environmental issues illustrated with real life exmples to assist our understanding .

Some books say that "She has written to me frequently since I was ill." means "She has written to me frequently since I have recoveried". So, in the extraction above, should I say " having been raised and educated since at the age of 10"? Also, I think he used a wrong subject "MSC EPHM" instead of "I" Can you help me to rephrase it?

Re: since I was 10

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    I quoted it from a booklet:

Being raised and educated in Canada since I was 10, the MSc EPHM has definitely given me a more in-depth perspective on local environmental issues illustrated with real life exmples to assist our understanding .

Some books say that "She has written to me frequently since I was ill." means "She has written to me frequently since I have recoveried". So, in the extraction above, should I say " having been raised and educated since at the age of 10"? Also, I think he used a wrong subject "MSC EPHM" instead of "I" Can you help me to rephrase it?
    Yes, you're right about the wrong subject. This is what is called a dangling / hanging participle.

If we correct it, then the whole sentence becomes extremely clumsy (which it was before, in any case) but anyway... I don't know why he has to bring in his childhood in Canada, which seems to have nothing to do with what the MSc etc has meant to him. Why can't he just cut that part out?

Otherwise, if he has to keep that part in about his childhood, maybe he could say:

-"having been raised and educated in Canada since the age of ten, thanks to the MSc EPHM, I have definitely been given a more in-depth perspective etc."