Question Why indifference is more dangerous than anger and hatred?

Why or why not? Things like genocide, civil war, wwi + wwii...etc.

Re: Why indifference is more dangerous than anger and hatred?

Are you wanting a discussion?

Question Re: Why indifference is more dangerous than anger and hatred?

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Are you wanting a discussion?
    I am looking for ideas for my essays. I want to hear from teachers...

Think about indifference. What does it mean? What are the effects of being indifferent to something [say, a child being beaten or an old person being allowed to starve]?

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Think about indifference. What does it mean? What are the effects of being indifferent to something [say, a child being beaten or an old person being allowed to starve]?
    I need something that is realated to how ppl failed to act during the two world wars and genocide in both sudan and rwanda. (pretty much about the violence around the world+how we ignored them)

Cool Re: Why indifference is more dangerous than anger and hatred?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I don't think the statement is right; indifference may allow dreadful things to happen, but the cause is to be found in anger, hatred, etc; disengagement and apathy don't make people more dangerous than the perpetrators IMO.

Also, what can most people actually do to prevent or assist? If you read accounts of Darfur by some close to the ground, the situation being described by many in the media is out of date and out of touch, so by trying to help it is often possible to maake things worse.

Try this article on Darfur for a counterview, though a biased one, an interesting take on it:
    Monty Python’s guide to the Darfur conflict | The Spectator
    Last edited by Tdol; 01-Nov-2008 at 08:45.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I don't think the statement is right; indifference may allow dreadful things to happen, but the cause is to be found in anger, hatred, etc; disengagement and apathy don't make people more dangerous than the perpetrators IMO.

Also, what can most people actually do to prevent or assist? If you read accounts of Darfur by some close to the ground, the situation being described by many in the media is out of date and out of touch, so by trying to help it is often possible to maake things worse.

Try this article on Darfur for a counterview, though a biased one, an interesting take on it:
    Monty Python’s guide to the Darfur conflict | The Spectator
    However, it's certainly not a bad exercise to take a viewpoint you don't agree with and argue for it. Ask any lawyer.
    And even if there are no monetary gains to be made, sometimes you can come to deeper understanding of yourself and your opinions (This excludes lawyers).