• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

further

Now, a study of tiger salamanders concludes inbreeding is not the cause in their case, further pointing to human activity as the culprit in amphibian deformities across the board.

Hi,

I looked up the dictionary but couldn't understand the meaning of "further" in this sentence.

It seems to me that it means "instead" or "mainly" but I couldn't find these meanings.

Among the several possible meanings from the dictionary, would "more" be the one that fits the context better, considering that in the first sentence they discarded the inbreeding as the cause of the problem?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jctgf; 01-Nov-2008 at 13:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: further

[quote=jctgf;376566]

Now, a study of tiger salamanders concludes inbreeding is not the cause in their case, further pointing to human activity as the culprit in amphibian deformities across the board.

The use of further here means the first part of the sentence is another indicator that human activity is involved. ( I assume other examples of human influence have already been quoted).

I can't really think of an alternative way that it could have been expressed without using a lot of words.

buggles(not a teacher)