1. Assertive Jhon

Red face Having

Hi friends and teachers,

Please let me know what is the meaing of ''having'' when it use before the verb.
    " having defeated Pomphy Ceassor proceeded to the street''

what is the meaning of above having? why it stands for?

I should be very grateful if anybody give more and more examples by using having. Please..

Jho

Re: Having

Quote Originally Posted by Assertive Jhon View Post
    Hi friends and teachers,

Please let me know what is the meaing of ''having'' when it use before the verb.

I should be very grateful if anybody give more and more examples by using having. Please..

Jho
    I think having is a gerund which is functioning like part of a past perfect tense (namely the had part).

It could be rephrased (using the past perfect) like this:

Caesar had defeated Pomphy and proceeded to the street.

It indicates that something happened before something else: in this case it shows that Caesar defeated something, then afterwards proceeded somewhere.

Re: Having

There is also a perfect (or past) form of gerunds. The past form of gerunds is formed by using having + past participle. This kind of gerund suggests that the gerund happened before something else.

NO GERUND
    I have been to South Korea.

WITH GERUND My having been to South Korea helped me learn the language when I took classes.

*this suggests that the speaker had gone to South Korea BEFORE he took the language classes

This rule works not only for the present perfect, but also for other past tense forms. Look at the following sentences. The first one (without the gerund) uses the simple past tense (took).

NO GERUND
    I took a physics class.

WITH GERUND Having taken a physics class helped me in calculus.

*this suggests that the speaker had taken a physics class BEFORE she took the calculus

http://www.myenglishteacher.net/gerunds.html

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: Having

Quote Originally Posted by Assertive Jhon View Post
    Hi friends and teachers,

Jho
    Having defeated Pomphy, Ceassor proceeded to the street. = Ceassor proceeded to the street after he (had) defeated Pomphy.

The above construction having + past participle is called the perfect infinitive, in its continuous form, and is used to show what happens first before something else happens.