• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

illuminating / to illuminate

We revere Nichiren Daishonin as the True Buddha. He is the great master who is always here preaching the Law, radiating light illuminating/to illuminate the darkness of ten thousand years of Mappo, and saving all living beings defiled with impurities.

I wonder whether 'illuminating' could be used? I believe it should be 'to illuminate'? Am I correct?

Many thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: illuminating / to illuminate

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    We revere Nichiren Daishonin as the True Buddha. He is the great master who is always here preaching the Law, radiating light illuminating/to illuminate the darkness of ten thousand years of Mappo, and saving all living beings defiled with impurities.

I wonder whether 'illuminating' could be used? I believe it should be 'to illuminate'? Am I correct?

Many thanks.
    An argument for "illumination" would be parallelism; The Buddha is preaching, radiating, saving. Why he should also not be illuminating; This would be possible if there was a comma "after light".
    What sense do you want the sentence to have. Is it is meant to be Buddha illuminating the darkness ..... Then, do the above.
    If Buddha is radiating light which then illuminates (the light is doing the illuminating), you could use "radiating light to illuminate"

So you can choose between:
    1. radiating light, illuminating the darkness ... OR
    2. radiating light to illuminate the darkness ...

I don't think it matters since the Buddha is the source of the illumination ultimately.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Many thanks, Raymott.

Hello,

Your sentence is somehow awkward; however, according to the meaning, it is more appropriate to use which illuminates than illuminating or to illuminate.

Regards,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Linny213 View Post
    Hello,

Your sentence is somehow awkward; however, according to the meaning, it is more appropriate to use which illuminates than illuminating or to illuminate.

Regards,
    I'm not a Buddhist theologist, but I think it's more consistent to have the Buddha illuminating the darkness of 10,000 years of Mappo, rather then having Buddha radiating light, which then happens, perhaps by accident, to illuminate the darkness.
    "... radiating light to illuminate the darkness" make it explicit that Buddha knows what he's doing by radiating the light. I think this is consistent with the Nichiren tradition.