• Post Thanks / Like

meaning- research

I did not get the meaning of the following sentences:

when we wanna gain knowledge about an individual's grammar and not about formal rule knowledge it is advisable to get quick responses without letting learners think for a long time. they should write and not allowed to erase their writing.
    why they are not allowed to erase ??? wots the difference between grammar and formal rule knowledge?

there is a lack of consistency when sentences r read as it is often difficult to neutralize natural intonational biases. this is especially important when using unusual sentences ,e.g THE PENCIL THE CAT SAW.
    what r biases in research? and why here is a lack of consistency when sentences r read???

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: meaning- research

Quote Originally Posted by zohreh_am View Post
    I did not get the meaning of the following sentences:

W
    hen we want to gain knowledge about an individual's grammar and not about formal rule knowledge it is advisable to get quick responses without letting learners think for a long time. They should write and not allowed to erase their writing.

Why they are not allowed to erase ??? What is the difference between grammar and formal rule knowledge?

The statement indicates that it is the immediate response to something that is of value, and if the individual is allowed to change his/her mind, then the researcher will not be able to judge the person's true understanding or knowledge.

There is a lack of consistency when sentences are read as it is often difficult to neutralize natural intonational biases. This is especially important when using unusual sentences, e.g THE PENCIL THE CAT SAW.
    What are biases in research? And why here is there a lack of consistency when sentences are read?

The researcher has a pre-set concept of what is being examined, so any discussion will be biased towards that concept.

There will not be a consistency since the sentences do not follow accepted form, so the person reading it has to put their own intonation into their reading.
    //

• Post Thanks / Like

wot do u mean by "since the sentences do not follow accepted form"
    isnt the following sentence in an accaccepted form? and y
    The pencil the cat saw.
    but when it is said that the results of the research r biased it has a negative sense.isnt it??? I mean the results should not be biased. but wot u said seems different from my preconception:
    ]The researcher has a pre-set concept of what is being examined, so any discussion will be biased towards that concept.
    I would be thankful if u explain

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Because this is a forum for learning English, it's a good idea to try to use standard English and not text/chat abbreviations.
    Quote Originally Posted by zohreh_am View Post
    What do you mean by "since the sentences do not follow accepted form"?
    Isnt the following sentence in an accepted form? And why?

The pencil the cat saw.
    No, this is not an accepted form. The cat saw the pencil is the accepted form.

Subject Verb Object

I will leave it to others to explain research bias because I don't know nearly enough about it.