• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Excuse - Please don't mind, but I would like replies from the native speakers here

Hi,

What excuse do you make when you have to go somewhere and you're late or not able to make it, especially how do you excuse yourself from work? And what do you normally say in these situations?

Thanks.

Re: Excuse - Please don't mind, but I would like replies from the native speakers her

If I know beforehand, I would say "I am so sorry. I shall not arrive until [time]. Something has come up that I must deal with."

If I just arrive late, it might be " I am sorry. I'm late. Traffic was appalling and I had a problem finding somewhere to park/The buses/trains were running late and I couldn't get here earlier".

If I have to cancel, I might say, "I am sorry for the late notice, but I am not going to be able to come tonight/today." A reasonably good excuse should be given [I am ill; The boiler has blown up and I am waiting for the repair man].

As to work, things like medical appointments should have been notified previously, so valid excuses for not going to work would be illness, sudden death [of a close relative], an accident, an Act of God [Flood/Fire/deep snow]. And I would say "I am not going to make it to work today because....".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Re: Excuse - Please don't mind, but I would like replies from the native speakers her

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If I know beforehand, I would say "I am so sorry. I shall not arrive until [time]. Something has come up that I must deal with."

Does "until" here mean the same as "by"?

If I just arrive late, it might be " I am sorry. I'm late. Traffic was appalling and I had a problem finding somewhere to park/The buses/trains were running late and I couldn't get here earlier".

If I have to cancel, I might say, "I am sorry for the late notice, but I am not going to be able to come tonight/today." A reasonably good excuse should be given [I am ill; The boiler has blown up and I am waiting for the repair man].

If I go there at 8 pm. Can I say "today"?

As to work, things like medical appointments should have been notified previously, so valid excuses for not going to work would be illness, sudden death [of a close relative], an accident, an Act of God [Flood/Fire/deep snow]. And I would say "I am not going to make it to work today because....".
    I am so very grateful to you for your constant assisstance.

Does "until" here mean the same as "by"?

Not really. It is similar, though. Until means "before". I won't be happy until I go to sleep means "I will NOT be happy before I go to sleep", meaning that when i go to sleep I will be happy.

If I go there at 8 pm. Can I say "today"?
    Depends, if it is morning and you can't make it later, you would say Tonight, because its a long way away. If it is soon, you could say either, but I would say Tonight anyway.

Anything after 7 is evening/night to most.
    I would say This evening when it gets darkish, and Tonight after 9/10.