• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question the horn of my salvation

Hello! The words I quoted is from the Holy Bible.

(1) What does "the horn" refer to?
    (2) What does "high tower" refer to?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 05-Nov-2008 at 06:08.

Re: the horn of my salvation

Not a teacher.

I'm not so sure about the "horn." My guess is that it is referring to a horn like a musical instrument that calls one to salvation (like soldiers are called to order by trumpets).

The high tower is a place where you would go for protection, like the high tower of a castle.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

This is a theological question but I may be able to help.

In the Jewish temple in Jerusalem (last destroyed in 70 AD), an altar would have these horns on each of its corners. If a person was seeking refuge from persecution he could go and grab hold of these horns, fugitives seeking asylum might go and cling to the horns of the altar.

Here is part of the story of Adonijah, who was Solomon's half brother, and who proclaimed himself to be king first before David had a chance to give his kingship to Solomon. David heard about it and quickly made Solomon king, so Adonijah is caught out of favour and is in fear for his life.

1Ki 1:50 And Adonijah feared Solomon. So he arose and went and took hold of the horns of the altar.
    1Ki 1:51 Then it was told Solomon, "Behold, Adonijah fears King Solomon, for behold, he has laid hold of the horns of the altar, saying, 'Let King Solomon swear to me first that he will not put his servant to death with the sword.'"
    1Ki 1:52 And Solomon said, "If he will show himself a worthy man, not one of his hairs shall fall to the earth, but if wickedness is found in him, he shall die."
    1Ki 1:53 So King Solomon sent, and they brought him down from the altar. And he came and paid homage to King Solomon, and Solomon said to him, "Go to your house."

You might also like to read about Joab who was a general but also a murderous man (who probably cared little about God), he did the same thing:

1Ki 2:28 When the news came to Joab--for Joab had supported Adonijah although he had not supported Absalom--Joab fled to the tent of the LORD and caught hold of the horns of the altar.
    1Ki 2:29 And when it was told King Solomon, "Joab has fled to the tent of the LORD, and behold, he is beside the altar," Solomon sent Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, saying, "Go, strike him down."

The horn was something they used to hide in but it didn't prevent the sword of justice for these guys.

When David wrote this beautiful Psalm, I think he was talking about how God is for him his horn of salvation. David was not going to hide behind something man made, he was going to hide behind God himself because David realised that his own past actions would not prevent the sword of justice from cutting him down also. Only if God was his horn of salvation would he find salvation from the sword of justice.

High tower seems to me to be a place of safety from enemy attack. If the tower is high, then the enemy cannot shoot their arrows so easily.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thedeebo and Mxreader:

Thank you very much for your replies.

Mxreader, the story is interesting. I appreciate you took time to explain them for me in detail.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Mxreader, the story is interesting. I appreciate you took time to explain them for me in detail.
    No problem. Its one of my passions