Unhappy meaning of "corporate" and "contained"

hello everyone, im very new here. and would really like someone to help me to understand these meaning in the sentence below.

it is vanessa williams's comment , mentioning about Alan dale (role of bradford).

"Alan is so not Bradford, who is very contained and very corporate."

what is the nuance and meaning of these 2 adjectives when describing person's charactor?

thank you so much in advance..

tomo

Re: meaning of "corporate" and "contained"

Quote Originally Posted by tomodatidaisuki View Post
    hello everyone, im very new here. and would really like someone to help me to understand these meaning in the sentence below.

it is vanessa williams's comment , mentioning about Alan dale (role of bradford).

"Alan is so not Bradford, who is very contained and very corporate."

what is the nuance and meaning of these 2 adjectives when describing person's charactor?

thank you so much in advance..

tomo
    Welcome to the forums.

Vaness Williams is saying that Alan Dale is someone who has great self-control [very contained] and who is also someone who works within a company's rules [very corporate], implying that he is competent, but not particularly exciting or original as a personality.

Exclamation Re: meaning of "corporate" and "contained"

Anglika!!! You never know how much I would like to thank you!!! Cuz I need to make school report about these drama of “Ugly betty”.
    And having checked thru all the dicrionaries published here and never found the meaning.. thank you so much.

And could I ask one more thing ?

When describing about Betty’s glasses, the sentence says,
    “Not quite cat’s-eye coy, but not desperately dorky, either, Bettys red specs set her apart”
    Im not sure about these 3 parts, “ cat’s eye coy” , “dorky” and “set her apart”…
    Is it ok to understand respectively such as…. “obsequious” but not “ total dumb” and “ make her look different from others”???

thank you again for your kindess!
    tomo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Tomo:

'Cat's eye' glasses are eyeglasses in a style very popular (for women) in the 1950's. Basically, they are glasses whose lenses are oval-shaped. Their frames often extend out from the face in a sweeping shape, sometimes decorated with rhinestones. (If you go to Google and search 'cat's eye eyeglasses', you can see many examples). Cat's eye glasses are currently VERY fashionable among women who like a 'retro' look (consciously making reference to a past fashion, often with an ironic or humourous edge).
    In your quote the writer is saying that the look of Betty's glasses is somewhere in between obviously trying to be in style and being completely unaware of one's looks.
    'Betty's specs set her apart' means, 'The look of Betty's glasses lets the viewer known that there is something special about Betty.

I hope this is helpful. All best wishes,
    Petra

Dear petra!

thank you so much, petra for replying !!!

i have checked out tru internet the type of the glasses and found out what kind of shpe and style they are..
    but it was really difficult to read between the line for non- English native like me..

"In your quote the writer is saying that the look of Betty's glasses is somewhere in between obviously trying to be in style and being completely unaware of one's looks"

so your explanation above is helping me a lot.

i do thank you for your spending time to answering my question.

tomo