Student or Learner
I would like to know what are the reasons that sometimes we use zero articles?
1. General meaning – life, water
2. Abstract nouns – education, love
3. Places in general – France, Peru
4. Streets, squares – Newton Street
5. Place (person)+airpot/ station/ university – Yezin Agricultural University
6. Games / sports –tennis
7. Language – English
8. Academic subject – Physics
9. Meals –breakfast
10. Noun + number – Platform 5
11. A place we always go to – to school, at home, in bed
12. Days, months – Sunday, January
13. Movement or transport – by bus, on foot, by plane, by air
14. Exclamination with countable / uncountable noun- What sad news!
"5. zero article, specific reference to a plural countable noun
6. zero article conveying specific unique reference"
You must have got that from somewhere.
3. Places in General - France. As I said. "French soil" is a metonymy for "France". You can write:
zero article, place in general.
The zero article is also a determiner. It conveys some important information about the noun.
By analogy we don't have any formal indicator for the singular form of nouns.
Box_ - boxes
boy_ - boys
However when these nouns are used without the suffix -s/es (or used with the zero suffix -s/es) we understand them as singular ones.