• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

being done

Being immediately hailed as 'the masterwork of a great genius', Jane Eyre became a great success.

With the 19th century being regarded as one of great women writers, there were also some excellent male writers.

Can the 'being' in these two sentences be left out since the '-ed' form can serve as an adverbial with a passive meaning?

Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

Re: being done

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Being immediately hailed as 'the masterwork of a great genius', Jane Eyre became a great success.

With the 19th century being regarded as one of great women writers, there were also some excellent male writers.

Can the 'being' in these two sentences be left out since the '-ed' form can serve as an adverbial with a passive meaning?

Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    Passive participle
    The participle can be used with or without auxiliary participle. This happens in fairly formal English, and in narratives:
    (Having been) released from prison (=when he had been released from prison), he went back into the community and immediately re-offended.
    (Having been) preserved in a sodium solution(=Because the eggs had been preserved in a sodium solution), the eggs would last us through the winter. (notice : the same subject)
    Sorry I'm not a native speaker.