• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question hangers-on=?

To keep this bombshell secret, the producers animated several solutions that were never intended to air. And to keep the show's animators, editors, staff and hangers-on from, leaking the solution two completely different
    endings were produced.
    Hello! This is a TV programme presenter talking about American cartoon hit- The Simpsons.

Could you please tell me what "hangers-on" refers to? Thanks!

P.S. I've looked the word up in a dictionary, but I'm not sure whether the definition as below is close to the context or not.

hanger-on

DISAPPROVING
    a person who tries to be friendly and spend time with rich and important people, especially to get an advantage:
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 07-Nov-2008 at 01:34. Reason: grammatical error

Re: hangers-on=?

Pretty much. It generally means all those people who want to be involved but are not officially part of the group.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hello Anglika,

Thank you for your help. I've understood.

By the way, I just learned a new word -solecisim. I wonder which word I should use in the following context? Should I write "error" or "solecism"?

I think "solecism" is very formal, and "error" might be better here. What do you think about it? Thanks!

Nice word, isn't it?

In relation to grammar, it is not quite "error", but rather a nonstandard or ungrammatical usage.

"They was soon here" is a solecism - an ungrammatical use which may be a colloquialism.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Anglika,

Thank you for your answer.

eg1. I am gonna swimming.

eg2. I ain't bad.

eg3. They buys a lot of book.

I think sentence 1 & 2 contain solecism, and sentence 3 contains grammatical errors. In other words, solecism refers to both grammatical error and non-standard usages , such as ain't, gonna which might be usually used by a lot of native speakers; grammatic errors are not accepted by native speakers. Am I right? Thanks!

They are all "errors", but they are also frequently used colloquial forms, and therefore come under the heading "solecism".

Simply mistyping something or phrasing it wrongly is not a solecism, but an error.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    They are all "errors", but they are also frequently used colloquial forms, and therefore come under the heading "solecism".

Simply mistyping something or phrasing it wrongly is not a solecism, but an error.
    Anglika, thank you for your help again. I think I am clear now.