Ascribe to

I'm having a small wager, no real money will change hands of course, with my PhD supervisor on the following sentence. 'Path dependence is a fundamental feature in economic landscapes, ascribing to the notion that industrial history is ... bla bla'. Looking at it again I fear he might be right, can my pride be saved???
    many thanks for any help on this one

Re: Ascribe to

Quote Originally Posted by applefrog View Post
    I'm having a small wager, no real money will change hands of course, with my PhD supervisor on the following sentence. 'Path dependence is a fundamental feature in economic landscapes, ascribing to the notion that industrial history is ... bla bla'. Looking at it again I fear he might be right, can my pride be saved???
    many thanks for any help on this one
    You haven't made it clear who (your supervisor or you) said what was correct or incorrect and why it was considered incorrect.

In any case, there's a problem with the syntax of the sentence: in the participle clause, ascribing is a dangling participle. It is considered to be a mistake if the subject of a participle clause is different from the subject of the main clause. Path dependence cannot ascribe to a notion.

Re: Ascribe to

'Path dependence is a fundamental feature in economic landscapes, ascribing (something) to (the cause)

'Path dependence is a fundamental feature in economic landscapes, ascribing marketing success to positive feedback mechanisms..."

Note also that 'notion' may mean a conception of or belief about something, but that this is in the sense of a 'vague or capricious idea, often without any sound basis.' Hence, you would use this word if you then intend to shoot the "notion" down in flames as fallacious.

(...or if you really know your stuff and are a bit of a maverick, "the misconceived notion" - and then redefine and substantiate this piece of old wives' lore!)