1. Unregistered

ask a teacher

Hi,

I hope you can help me. I am confused about a situation of usage. Recently I was told (by a professor/instructor) that a bullet constitutes the beginning of a paragraph. He went on to say that each individual bullet ( as in a list) is actually signalling individual paragraphs. So 4 bullets, each followed by a word or two constitutes 4 paragraphs.

Is this true?

Re: ask a teacher

Bullets are used in specific circumstances, when creating a series of points in logical sequence. Whether the text is short or long is not relevant.

Bullet (typography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I hope you can help me. I am confused about a situation of usage. Recently I was told (by a professor/instructor) that a bullet constitutes the beginning of a paragraph. He went on to say that each individual bullet ( as in a list) is actually signalling individual paragraphs. So 4 bullets, each followed by a word or two constitutes 4 paragraphs.

Is this true?
    Yes, this is technically true. A bullet point starts on a new line and is indented. Your word processor will also show up four paragraph markings.
    Naturally, a "paragraph" normally has the connotation of several sentences (thoughts) all belonging to, and making up, one full argument. That's a paragraph for the purposes of writing essays.
    But you instructor is technically right.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If a paragraph is supposed to be about a specific point, then bullets do signify a paragraph, since each bullet lists a specific point or topic.