• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

be going to

HI there,
    Some grammar books told us that 'be going to' is used as the decision made by the speaker at the time of speaking. Why did Obama use 'be going to' in his speech? Can we replace 'be going to' with 'will'?

“I do not underestimate the enormity of the task that lies ahead,” Mr. Obama said, his voice slow and controlled. “Some of the choices that we make are going to be difficult. And I have said before and I will repeat again: It is not going to be quick and it is not going to be easy for us to dig ourselves out of the hole that we are in.”

tks
    pete

Re: be going to

Quote Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
    HI there,
    Some grammar books told us that 'be going to' is used as the decision made by the speaker at the time of speaking. Why did Obama use 'be going to' in his speech? Can we replace 'be going to' with 'will'?

“I do not underestimate the enormity of the task that lies ahead,” Mr. Obama said, his voice slow and controlled. “Some of the choices that we make are going to be difficult. And I have said before and I will repeat again: It is not going to be quick and it is not going to be easy for us to dig ourselves out of the hole that we are in.”

tks
    pete
    (not a teacher)

Mr. Obama statement is very clear & grammatically correct. He said it is not going to be easy to overcome the current economic catastrophe and also the terrorist activities.

2. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Hi there,
    Tks. But you have not answered my question
    pete

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
    hi there,
    some grammar books told us that 'be going to' is used as the decision made by the speaker at the time of speaking. Why did obama use 'be going to' in his speech? Can we replace 'be going to' with 'will'?
    your grammar book is not comprehensive. Yes you could replace it with "will" and still have the same meaning.

“i do not underestimate the enormity of the task that lies ahead,” mr. Obama said, his voice slow and controlled. “some of the choices that we make are going to be difficult. And i have said before and i will repeat again: it is not going to be quick and it is not going to be easy for us to dig ourselves out of the hole that we are in.”

tks
    pete
    r.