• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Saul-among-the-prophets look

Hello, teachers.
    What kind of look is "Saul-among-the-prophets look"? I came across this expression in a novel.

Then a year ago turned up her brother Martin, penniless and broken, with paralysis upon him. He was a harum-scarum ne’er-do-well. Don’t stare at me with that Saul-among-the-prophets look; he never drank; he would have been a better man if he had.

I checked several dictionaries and found that "Saul among the prophets" means someone who shows an unexpected talent, but this definition does not seem to apply to the above passage. In I Samuel 10:11, people were surprised to find that Saul prophesed with a band of prophets, and cried out "Is Saul also among the prophets?" So I guess that the hearer was surprised to hear a vulgar expression "harum-scarum ne' er-do-well" and showed his suprise on the face, and the speaker, who was an organist in a minster, mockingly called the other's expression "Saul-among-the-prophets look". Does my interpretation sound OK?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Saul-among-the-prophets look

You will need to study Saul to get this meaning. Briefly, he was an ordinary shepherd who became a King, and this was foretold by the prophets.

So a "Saul among the prophets" would be a man who does not know or has not yet reached his potential, yet others know he will someday be a great man.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Thank you for your advice. I am still at a loss what to think of this phrase, but anyway I will read the bible again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Don't spend too much time on this one part.

It's just an expression, and I really doubt if you will see it often.

It means that the author is telling someone to not look at them with practical, yet wise, judgment.