Results 1 to 10 of 10

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 417
    #1

    Smile a word

    To watch soccer people go to a stadium. Where do people go watch a basketball game?
    Thanks

  1. supada's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,280
    #2

    Re: a word

    Not a teacher.

    Basketball court?
    Last edited by supada; 10-Nov-2008 at 08:39.

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,912
    #3

    Re: a word

    Quote Originally Posted by daisy1352 View Post
    To watch soccer people go to a stadium. Where do people go watch a basketball game?
    Thanks
    Hi, daisy!

    Basketball is such a universal game it could be played almost anywhere!

    The most common names for basketball venues are:
    playgrounds, schoolyards, gymnasiums, arenas, stadiums, sports centers, student athletic centers, pavilions, and public parks.
    The Boston Celtics used to play at the 'Boston Garden', 'Madison Square Garden is home to the New York Knicks, and the 'Los Angeles Forum' was home to the Lakers.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #4

    Re: a word

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, daisy!

    Basketball is such a universal game it could be played almost anywhere!

    The most common names for basketball venues are:
    playgrounds, schoolyards, gymnasiums, arenas, stadiums, sports centers, student athletic centers, pavilions, and public parks.
    The Boston Celtics used to play at the 'Boston Garden', 'Madison Square Garden is home to the New York Knicks, and the 'Los Angeles Forum' was home to the Lakers.

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Sure, but I think the OP wants to know the official title of the space on which a proper game is played. It's a "court" isn't it?

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Smile Re: a word

    I'd go for the term stadium in any case dealing with sports played outdoors; however, you go onto the court to play tennis/basketball; onto the pitch to play football/rugby/baseball etc.


  5. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,912
    #6

    Re: a word

    Quote Originally Posted by daisy1352 View Post
    To watch soccer people go to a stadium. Where do people go watch a basketball game?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Sure, but I think the OP wants to know the official title of the space on which a proper game is played. It's a "court" isn't it?
    Hi, Ray! I re-read daisy's question: Where do people go (to) watch a basketball game? I believe she was asking for the names of possible locations that would be similar to a soccer stadium. (The soccer field is located in a stadium.) A baketball court is located in, on, at, or inside an area (facility) set aside for the game.

    By the way, what does 'OP' mean? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  6. supada's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,280
    #7

    Re: a word

    Oh, right! I think Amigo was right.

    By the way, let me guess before Raymott replies. 'the OP' is original poster??

  7. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,912
    #8

    Re: a word

    Quote Originally Posted by supada View Post
    Oh, right! I think Amigo was right.

    By the way, let me guess before Raymott replies. 'the OP' is original poster??
    Thanks, supada! You get the kudo for the day! Of course, original poster makes perfect sense!!!! You can play basketball in my arena any day!!!!

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  8. supada's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,280
    #9

    Re: a word


  9. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,912
    #10

    Re: a word

    Quote Originally Posted by supada View Post
    And, we'll play with your basketball!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. The meaning with no word . . .
    By ScaryEders in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-May-2009, 07:15
  2. What's the best word?
    By Working_swede in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2008, 20:36
  3. please give me a word
    By zhengrong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2008, 15:03
  4. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 15:30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •