• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

For which

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday the class for which you are enrolled “Entertainment Financing: From First $ to Distribution of Profits” will not be meeting on Wednesday, November 26th.

Can you please break down this sentence? I'm curious about how and where to place 'for which.'

Please help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: For which

Quote Originally Posted by supada View Post
    Due to the Thanksgiving holiday the class for which you are enrolled, “Entertainment Financing: From First $ to Distribution of Profits”, will not be meeting on Wednesday, November 26th.

Can you please break down this sentence? I'm curious about how and where to place 'for which.'

Please help.
    The "for which" is in the right place. You need commas or parentheses around the name of the class (as I've added).
    The basic sentence is: Due to the Thanksgiving holiday the class will not be meeting on Wednesday, November 26th.
    The inserted phrase states which class they mean - the one for which you are enrolled, “Entertainment Financing: From First $ to Distribution of Profits”.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I thought that the basice sentence is Due to the Thanksgiving holiday the class will not be meeting on Wednesday, November 26th.
    The inseted phrase is you are enrolled for, “Entertainment Financing: From First $ to Distribution of Profits”.

So when sentences are combined, 'for' will be automatically place before 'which.'

This is incorrect idea, right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by supada View Post
    I thought that the basice sentence is Due to the Thanksgiving holiday the class will not be meeting on Wednesday, November 26th.
    The inseted phrase is you are enrolled for, “Entertainment Financing: From First $ to Distribution of Profits”.

So when sentences are combined, 'for' will be automatically place before 'which.'

This is incorrect idea, right?
    Not necessarily.
    "the class for which you've enrolled" and "the class you enrolled for" are just two versions of the same thing.
    Either inserted phrase is adequate. In English, there are lots of different ways of saying the same thing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks a lot, Raymott. Very clear answer. : )