• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

well this is a queston to teachers sorta

well ive always wanted to b an english teacher i find the subject amazing =) and my teachers say u should go fer it (im in 9th grade ite now ^^) and well teachers is the job fun? and also thers a part 2 to this um well i have stage fright any ways er suggestions on how to try and get over that? well yea so also can u say the ups and downs of being a english teacher much appreshated =) thanxx
    <33 jess
    Last edited by jzjess23; 10-Nov-2008 at 23:47.

Re: well this is a queston to teachers sorta

Are you still at school? What do you think you would like to be after schol and college?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

i want 2 b a teacher buut i have stage fright ((fear of public speking) jw if there r any techniqes er something to get over it and if u know whats it like to b a teacehr? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jzjess23 View Post
    i want 2 b a teacher buut i have stage fright ((fear of public speking) jw if there r any techniqes er something to get over it and if u know whats it like to b a teacehr? lol
    If you want to be a teacher, start by not using text-speak on an English forum.

As with any skill, you learn how to do these things by practice. Speaking to a group is not difficult - know your subject, use short bullet notes to remind yourself, and speak to one person in the group.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It depends upon what type of teacher you'd like to be. Public school? Private school? Elementary, middle school or high school?

In addition to public speaking for many hours per day, you'll also have to work after-hours grading papers and planning lessons. You'll be required to attend faculty meetings, which may occur before school (early in the AM) or after classes. You'll have to deal not only with occasionally unruly students, but also their parents, and you may find yourself constantly in the middle between the school administration and the outraged parents.

On the plus side, you'll make a difference in some (not all) kids' lives. The look of recognition on a student's face when they finally grasp a concept that they've been struggling with is a "natural high" - a very rewarding experience.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Ouisch
    well thats true =) im already in2 gradeing i grade science, history and french peoples homework and quizes and tests (the teachers allow me to grade them) so thats no problem and i want to b a english teacher but idk what gade yet lol thank u so much fer ur advice much appreshated ^^ i knew about the meetings, gradeing and students but the way u put it lol =) and yes i really want to change peoples lifes and get the satifacation they do when they learn something new ^^

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Hi-

First of all, I think it's great that you want to be a teacher!

As for stage fright- I think a lot of us have it! I get really nervous before I start with a new class (though my students don't know that). When I was younger, I was considered quite shy, but becoming more outgoing can be a skill you can practice. It gets easier as you try.

I still don't like public speaking- when I have to speak at a conference, or a setting outside of classroom teaching, I get very nervous and uncomfortable, but I do it and it's okay.

Persistence and commitment are important qualities in teachers.

Good luck!

Mary