Unhappy verbs of being

What is the object of a verb of being called, or what follows a verb of being? The sentence: It has been a great year for Bill and me. What is the word "year" called - it is not an object, per se, but what is it? Thank you. Beti

Re: verbs of being

Caveat: Not a teacher just a simple DP who had to learn this stuff the hard way

Yep. "Year" is the object of the sentence alright. It just happens to be modified by the adjective "great", but that doesn't change its status as the object of the sentence.

Here is the full Monty: "It" = subject; "has been" = verb (or predicate if you want to get highfalutin' about it ; "a great year" = object.

So what about "for Bill and me"? Well, actually, because the only function of those words is to modify and explain something about the object, they are part of the object, really, so that the words "a great year for Bill and me" may justifiably be considered the object. "Augmented objects" (my term) are common and are properly called object clauses, just as when you modify a simple predicate, it becomes a "predicate clause".

Anyhow, glad to hear the good news

Sam

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: verbs of being

Quote Originally Posted by Beti Schwartz View Post
    What is the object of a verb of being called, or what follows a verb of being? The sentence: It has been a great year for Bill and me. What is the word "year" called - it is not an object, per se, but what is it? Thank you. Beti
    It's called a "subject complement", not an object. Look here:
    Objects and Complements

Subject Complements

In addition to the transitive verb and the intransitive verb, there is a third kind of verb called a linking verb. The word (or phrase) which follows a linking verb is called not an object, but a subject complement.

Now that you know the name, you'll find plenty of explanatory material on the web if you need it.