• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

as

Dear teachers,

I have one question to ask:

As satisfying as pure pleasure is, it is also transitory and often quite superficial.

The reference book explained the sentence can be written the following way:
    1. Satisfying as pure pleasure is it is also transitory and often quite superficial.
    2. Although pure pleasure is satisfying it is transitory and often quite superficial.

What I don't understand it that there are two "as's" in the original sentence but in the rewritten sentence there is only one "as". Could you please explain how I should understand the missing "as", which the reference book does not explain?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    jiang

Re: as

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

I have one question to ask:

As satisfying as pure pleasure is, it is also transitory and often quite superficial.

The reference book explained the sentence can be written the following way:
    1. Satisfying as pure pleasure is it is also transitory and often quite superficial.
    2. Although pure pleasure is satisfying it is transitory and often quite superficial.

What I don't understand it that there are two "as's" in the original sentence but in the rewritten sentence there is only one "as". Could you please explain how I should understand the missing "as", which the reference book does not explain?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    jiang
    In fact sentence number (1) is not correct in this context. So you don't have to worry about its containing only one as.

Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    In fact sentence number (1) is not correct in this context. So you don't have to worry about its containing only one as.
    I think in AmE they sometimes drop the first 'as'.
    e.g. good as gold, old as the hills. (instead of as good as gold, as old as the hills)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear naomimalan,

Thank you very much for your help. Could you please tell me why the first sentence isn't correct? This is what the teacher explained.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear naomimalan,

Thank you very much for your help. Could you please tell me why the first sentence isn't correct? This is what the teacher explained.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
    I think in AmE they sometimes drop the first 'as'.
    e.g. good as gold, old as the hills. (instead of as good as gold, as old as the hills)
    I wouldnít be able to say why, it just didnít sound right. But to be honest, Iím not so sure any more, especially after Clarkís contribution. She (he?) is perfectly right. Iíve heard people say that, Clark, even in BrE I think. So I take that back. Sorry!