Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    above and over

    Dear teachers,

    I find 'above' and 'over' very confusing. It is so difficult to distinguish the two I made many mistakes by doing the exercises.

    No.1
    1. The skies above the old Colorado mining town of Telluride were a bright Rocky Montain blue that day.
    2. The full moon rose and hung __________ the sea like a huge lantern in the sky.
    a. above b. over
    The key is 'b'. Could you please explain why I can only use 'above' in the first sentence but I can't use 'over'?

    No.2
    To resist the inner drive toward self-indulgence over character requires a value system.
    The teacher said 'over' means 'in preference to'. But in the exercise there is the sentence:
    The company values hard work_______ new ideas.
    a. above b. over
    The key is 'a'! Could you please explain why 'b' isn't correct?


    No.3
    The bicycle shed has been constructed ________ a garbage dump, and it gives off a nasty smell.
    a. over b. above
    The key is 'a'. To me both are correct.

    No.4
    She asked again, and stood there with her hand inside a bowl, just holding it ________ the water.
    a. above b. over
    The key is "a". To me both are correct.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang


    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 4
    #2

    Wink Re: above and over

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    I find 'above' and 'over' very confusing. It is so difficult to distinguish the two I made many mistakes by doing the exercises.

    No.1
    1. The skies above the old Colorado mining town of Telluride were a bright Rocky Montain blue that day.
    2. The full moon rose and hung __________ the sea like a huge lantern in the sky.
    a. above b. over
    The key is 'b'. Could you please explain why I can only use 'above' in the first sentence but I can't use 'over'?
    1.because it's higher place than the mining 2. it's on top of sea
    No.2
    To resist the inner drive toward self-indulgence over character requires a value system.
    The teacher said 'over' means 'in preference to'. But in the exercise there is the sentence:
    The company values hard work_______ new ideas.
    a. above b. over
    The key is 'a'! Could you please explain why 'b' isn't correct?
    i think both of them kind are like the same cause then you go over or above, but then above here is going beyond what expected

    No.3
    The bicycle shed has been constructed ________ a garbage dump, and it gives off a nasty smell.
    a. over b. above
    The key is 'a'. To me both are correct.

    No.4
    She asked again, and stood there with her hand inside a bowl, just holding it ________ the water.
    a. above b. over
    The key is "a". To me both are correct.
    would you go over the water, above putting it in a higher place
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    (not a teacher)
    i'm not good at explaining
    go to these web to read their meaning an example: above definition | Dictionary.com
    over definition | Dictionary.com

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #3

    Re: above and over

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    I find 'above' and 'over' very confusing. It is so difficult to distinguish the two I made many mistakes by doing the exercises.
    Note, my responses are for "real life" situations. If you are learning English just to pass these tests, you will always have problems, and you will always be confused.

    No.1
    1. The skies above the old Colorado mining town of Telluride were a bright Rocky Montain blue that day.
    2. The full moon rose and hung __________ the sea like a huge lantern in the sky.
    a. above b. over
    The key is 'b'. Could you please explain why I can only use 'above' in the first sentence but I can't use 'over'?
    No I can't. There is no reason why you can't use either of these.

    No.2
    To resist the inner drive toward self-indulgence over character requires a value system.
    The teacher said 'over' means 'in preference to'. But in the exercise there is the sentence:
    The company values hard work_______ new ideas.
    a. above b. over
    The key is 'a'! Could you please explain why 'b' isn't correct?
    No. b. is correct

    No.3
    The bicycle shed has been constructed ________ a garbage dump, and it gives off a nasty smell.
    a. over b. above
    The key is 'a'. To me both are correct.
    I agree. Either could be used. Though "over" would be more common, since the shed would not be directly above the dump in a straight upwards direction (which is often the difference between "over" and "above".)

    No.4
    She asked again, and stood there with her hand inside a bowl, just holding it ________ the water.
    a. above b. over
    The key is "a". To me both are correct.
    I agree. There is no way to choose here.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    You have my condolences.
    PS: For anyone learning English to use, or for fun, not just because they have to, please don't get
    turned off by these ridiculous space-filling exercises. Choosing between "over" and "above"
    is not what speaking English is about.



    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #4

    Re: above and over

    Dear Raymott,

    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    First what does this ''You have my condolences" mean?
    'condolence' means: sympathy and sadness for the family or close friends of a person who has recently died, or an expression of this, especially in written form:
    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You have my condolences.
    PS: For anyone learning English to use, or for fun, not just because they have to, please don't get
    turned off by these ridiculous space-filling exercises. Choosing between "over" and "above"
    is not what speaking English is about.


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #5

    Re: above and over

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear Raymott,

    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    First what does this ''You have my condolences" mean?
    'condolence' means: sympathy and sadness for the family or close friends of a person who has recently died, or an expression of this, especially in written form:
    Jiang
    I think Raymott means that he/she deeply understood your feeling and wanted to share this with you.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #6

    Re: above and over

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear Raymott,

    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    First what does this ''You have my condolences" mean?
    'condolence' means: sympathy and sadness for the family or close friends of a person who has recently died, or an expression of this, especially in written form:
    Jiang
    You have my sympathy for having to do these tests.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #7

    Re: above and over

    Hi hanky,

    Thank you so much for your explanation.
    What I feel sad is that I have difficulty understanding implied meanings and colloquial usages. The language in our textbook is formal. This also explains we find it extremely difficult to understand jokes in English. Sometimes I watched TV series in English and what happened is that people in the story laughed a lot while I don't know what they are laughing about. Jokes contains a lot of cultural hints so they are difficult.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    I think Raymott means that he/she deeply understood your feeling and wanted to share this with you.

  3. supada's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,280
    #8

    Re: above and over

    ^
    ^
    I agree with hanky. I know the way Asian countries' curriculum teach English (in my case, Thailand.) That always make me confused as well because in real life, we have to learn to understand the way people talk, not just memorise all those rules.

    My English teacher in L.A. language school told me I have to keep reading books, newspaper in order to gain knowledges of how to use collocation.

    I'm still doing my best. : )

  4. supada's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,280
    #9

    Re: above and over

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Hi hanky,

    Thank you so much for your explanation.
    What I feel sad is that I have difficulty understanding implied meanings and colloquial usages. The language in our textbook is formal. This also explains we find it extremely difficult to understand jokes in English. Sometimes I watched TV series in English and what happened is that people in the story laughed a lot while I don't know what they are laughing about. Jokes contains a lot of cultural hints so they are difficult.

    Jiang
    You know what... I'm pursuing a degree for film in Los Angeles. Instructors told me so often that film genre that mostly have difficulties to sell out to international market is comedy just as you mentioned above. People have different cultures so sometimes they just don't get what is it about. At the end of the day, it will fail in the box office.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #10

    Re: above and over

    Hi supada,

    Thank you very much for your help. Yes we are taught the way you were taught and there were so my rules, actually one rule after another. If you don't memorize them you fail in exams. And yes collocation is also my headache. Let' try hard to learning English well. And as Raymott said just now learn to use.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by supada View Post
    ^
    ^
    I agree with hanky. I know the way Asian countries' curriculum teach English (in my case, Thailand.) That always make me confused as well because in real life, we have to learn to understand the way people talk, not just memorise all those rules.

    My English teacher in L.A. language school told me I have to keep reading books, newspaper in order to gain knowledges of how to use collocation.

    I'm still doing my best. : )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •