1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Talking hello teacher, the trouble is about "just"! can you help me

hi!
    I'm an english student in france and i have an exercise which ask to comare the use of "just" in three sentences, i guess that i've found the first and the second one but i alwys haven't understand the last ne, which is a bit hard for me :

1.The instructor just nodded to me as he came in: it precisely when he entered and just mean at that moment

2.The instructor nodded just to me as he came in: does it mean that he nod to him only? i think so but as i've say before i'm not sure

3.then: the instructor nodded to me just as he came in: i've no idea about this one
    thank you !!

Re: hello teacher, the trouble is about "just"! can you help me

For the third sentence, 'just' here means 'right after'. Am I right?

Not a teacher.

1. The instructor just nodded to me as he came in.
    This sounds like it means that the instructor nodded, but did nothing else as he came in. It is kind of like when someone comes in and nods hello to you, but doesn't say anything. "Just" seems to be a downplayer in this sentence, so it can mean "simply or "merely"

The instructor nodded just to me as he came in.
    This means that the instructor nodded to you, and only you, as they came in. Just can mean "only" in this case.

3. The instructor nodded to me just as he came in.
    This means that the instructor nodded at the moment he was coming into the room.

Both proosie and thedeebo are correct for (1), depending on the intonation of the voice.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Both proosie and thedeebo are correct for (1), depending on the intonation of the voice.
    I wouldn't think that the first and third sentences would have the same meanings in an exercise that is trying to get students to differentiate between different meanings of the same word. But I agree that it could have a different meaning depending on context and intonation.

Originally Posted by David L.
    I wouldn't think that the first and third sentences would have the same meanings in an exercise that is trying to get students to differentiate between different meanings of the same word. But I agree that it could have a different meaning depending on context and intonation.

I made no reference to sentence (3) nor is the meaning of (3) similar to either of the meanings possible for (1).

k

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Hello every body!!! thanks to all of you!!
    Firstly, Lanlethi you're agree and the deebo too, is that we made the correction in class and the teacher explain us just like you done! congratulation!!!