Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 160
    #1

    correction

    Hi

    Please correct this conversation.

    A: I don't understand why this red light is so long!
    B: I think it's so that the pedestrians have time to cross.
    A: Supposedly, this city has more pedestrian traffic than anywhere else.
    B: I find that hard to believe.

    Thanks.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #2

    Re: correction

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinkl View Post
    Hi

    Please correct this conversation.

    A: I don't understand why this red light is taking so long!
    B: I think it's so that the pedestrians have time to cross.
    A: Supposedly, this city has more pedestrian traffic than anywhere else.
    B: I find that hard to believe.

    Thanks.
    It's debatable, but I would expect, in general colloquial conversation, to hear taking so long (to change).


    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 160
    #3

    Re: correction

    Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    It's debatable, but I would expect, in general colloquial conversation, to hear taking so long (to change).
    Thank you , and I have one more question relating the part -"I think it's so that the pedestrians have time to cross." What structure is this?
    (especially so that)

    Give me your explanation please.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #4

    Re: correction

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinkl View Post
    Thank you , and I have one more question relating the part -"I think it's so that the pedestrians have time to cross." What structure is this?
    (especially so that)

    Give me your explanation please.
    So that is a subordinating conjunction which expresses (in this context) a purpose or reason.

    I think the lights stay red for such a long time in order that the pedestrians can all cross.


    so - definition of so by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

    so that Idiom1.
    In order that: I stopped so that you could catch up.
    2. With the result or consequence that.


    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 160
    #5

    Re: correction

    Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    So that is a subordinating conjunction which expresses (in this context) a purpose or reason.

    I think the lights stay red for such a long time in order that the pedestrians can all cross.


    so - definition of so by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

    so that Idiom1.
    In order that: I stopped so that you could catch up.
    2. With the result or consequence that.
    I got it. Thanks again!

Similar Threads

  1. My Essay needs correction
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2007, 21:00
  2. May you correction me this article ?
    By Nader75 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2007, 15:21
  3. grammar correction for GMAT exam
    By drrohitbaslas in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2007, 05:41
  4. Correction
    By petr in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2006, 15:22
  5. On Spelling Correction and the Collective Knowledge of Web Users
    By Red5 in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-May-2005, 15:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •