Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question TDOL: UE Quiz-Wish

Q2 - I wish they ____ keep the noise down next door.
    would
    could

I think "could" is better than "would". Frankly, I think "would" is wrong.

Kind Regards,
    Blacknomi

Re: TDOL: UE Quiz-Wish

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    would
    could

Kind Regards,
    Blacknomi
    I wish they would keep the noise down next door. - If they don't, then they don't want to.

I wish they could keep the noise down next door. - If they don't, then maybe they are unable to for some reason.

If there is noise next door, then I think the sentence with "would" is more likely.

Context would determine this, as well as the speaker's point of view. It's possible to use the sentence with "could", but I would then ask, "Why "could" and not "would"?"

Does the speaker believe that for some reason they can't keep the noise down? If so, I would say "could" is a likely choice.

Does the speaker believe they refuse to keep the noise down, or would refuse if asked? If so, the I would say "would" is a likely choice.

Despite these differences and viewpoints, one might say they mean the same thing. I tend to think speakers have reasons for choosing "would" or "could" in such a case. I would, therefore, say that there is a difference in meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    I wish they would keep the noise down next door. - If they don't, then they don't want to.
    I have hard time understanding "would" in this example.

I wish they could keep the noise down next door. - If they don't, then maybe they are unable to for some reason.
    I don't have problem with this one.

If there is noise next door, then I think the sentence with "would" is more likely.
    Right on! There's noise next door! "Shuddap, neightbors!" I murmurred. But in real life, I am extremely polite to people so I may ask them,

"Could you please keep the voice down? (Or I'll call the police now!)" Here "could" doesn't really mean the ability of doing something but more like a polite request. But if the interrogtive starts with "can", then it implies somewhat ability and direct request.

"Would you keep the voice down?" It sounds like an indirect order or a less polite request because one is asking the other one's willingness to do something instead of putting himself to other's shoes.

So,
    I wish they could. They accepted the request and would do that.
    "Could I? Of course, I'm sorry! I'll keep it down down."

I still have poroblems dealing with 'would' in this case. Could you explain more? I need your help.

I have hard time understanding "would" in this example.

I don't have problem with this one.

Right on! There's noise next door! "Shuddap, neightbors!" I murmurred. But in real life, I am extremely polite to people so I may ask them,

"Could you please keep the voice down? (Or I'll call the police now!)" Here "could" doesn't really mean the ability of doing something but more like a polite request. But if the interrogtive starts with "can", then it implies somewhat ability and direct request.

"Would you keep the voice down?" It sounds like an indirect order or a less polite request because one is asking the other one's willingness to do something instead of putting himself to other's shoes.

So,
    I wish they could. They accepted the request and would do that.
    "Could I? Of course, I'm sorry! I'll keep it down down."

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Could you keep the noise down?" is a polite way of making a request. Still, you would like them to keep the noise down. What they would do (if you had your way) would be quieter.

Question Re: Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    "Could you keep the noise down?" is a polite way of making a request. Still, you would like them to keep the noise down. What they would do (if you had your way) would be quieter.

Yes, I would like them to keep the noise down.
    Yes, I could like them to keep the noise down. (NO)

I think I've got rocks in my head at the moment and I can't figure out Tdol's example.

I would/could keep the noise down if he wishes. (Both are OK.)

But if you reverse the sentence,

He wishes, then I will use "could" in the next noun clause as in "I could keep the noise down." Changing "could" to "would" is far fetched for me. I think I need some examples so that I can feel it.

Thanks,
    Blacknomi

would
    could

Kind Regards,
    Blacknomi
    No, "would" is not wrong. However, try saying "I wish I would keep the noise down." How does that sound to you? I ask because using "I wish I would" has come up before here. So, I'm curious about what you think about it as someone whose first language is not English.

Thanks,

Question Re: TDOL: UE Quiz-Wish

No, "would" is not wrong. However, try saying "I wish I would keep the noise down." How does that sound to you? I ask because using "I wish I would" has come up before here. So, I'm curious about what you think about it as someone whose first language is not English.

Thanks,

Hello! X Mode,
    I'm sorry. It sounds odd to my ear. Do tell it if I am not on the wrong track!

Let me tell you how I feel,
    "I wish I could keep the noise down."

I wish I could, but in reality, I can't. Why not?
    "I can't because I just can not do it. When the vaccum cleans the carpet, it makes a lot of noise and it's designed to be like this. How can I do with it? You tell me! I would like to/want keep it down of course, I can't tolerate it myself. Well...I wish I had the ability to keep it quieter." I wouldn't think it a willingness to do something. It's simple that I can't do it.I am not the master of its mind. I wish I were, then I could. It's odd to say "would."

It's your turn now!

4. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I'll look at this in a couple of days. I'm afraid I won't be online for a few days as I'm travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'll look at this in a couple of days. I'm afraid I won't be online for a few days as I'm travelling.
    Have a nice trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last