1. studying

Smile The Big Buffalo Bass

Dear Teachers:

I have problems to understand the following sentences which are all from the short story THE BIG BUFFALO BASS:

1. HE HAD SCARCELY DISAPPEARED WHEN I HEARD A RUSTLING OF LEAVES BEHIND ME AND A MAN STEPPED OUT OF THE UNDERGROWTH IN BACK OF THE SPRING. I had met the man, but now there were two revolvers strapped to his hips. Instinctively I knew he was the game warden. I glanced at the squirrel involuntarily: I knew the season was closed. But the man was grinning. ...

2. "Old King Solomon is a bass," he said... "That fellow with the gun hooked him once, but couldn't hold him. Ever since, he's been tring to shoot him. Well, THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW; AND NOBODY'S GOING TO DO THAT IF I CAN HELP IT."

3. "Where does King Solomon hold court most of the time?" uI ASKED WITH A STUDIED EFFORT TO BE CASUAL. /u

I have problems to understand the captional parts, and especially don't understand the following phrases:
    the game wanden, the undergrowth in back of the spring, to be casual, a mountain feud.

Thanks a lot.#up

Re: The Big Buffalo Bass

game wardens are state or local officials responsible for enforcing laws pertaining to the hunting, fishing, and trapping of wild animals. (Wikipedia)

to be casual: The speaker wanted to know where he could find the famous fish without alerting the listener to his intent. The term 'act casual' refers to the attemt to send a message with one's body language that differs from the individuals situational reality. A boy asking a girl for a date would want to seem calm and relaxed, especially if he were very nervous.

a mountain feud: I beleive this is a cultural reference to the famous Hatfield-McCoy feud (1878 1891) an account of American lore that has become a metaphor for bitterly feuding rival parties in general. It involved two warring families of the West Virginia-Kentucky backcountry along the Tug Fork River, off the Big Sandy River. (also Wikipedia) Their private war totaled 7 murders and by the time it was over no one could remember why the fighting began.

Smile Re: The Big Buffalo Bass

Dear Shawna,

Thanks so much for your reply and the detail explaination.

Could you help me with the comprehension of the captional sentences in part 1 and 2?

Thanks

Not a teacher

Quote Originally Posted by studying View Post
    Dear Teachers:

I have problems to understand the following sentences which are all from the short story THE BIG BUFFALO BASS:

1. HE HAD SCARCELY DISAPPEARED WHEN I HEARD A RUSTLING OF LEAVES BEHIND ME AND A MAN STEPPED OUT OF THE UNDERGROWTH IN BACK OF THE SPRING. I had met the man, but now there were two revolvers strapped to his hips. Instinctively I knew he was the game warden. I glanced at the squirrel involuntarily: I knew the season was closed. But the man was grinning. ...
    Someone just left the area (scarcely disappeared) when the narrator heard leaves moving behind them. A man came out of the thick bushes and shrubs (undergrowth) that were located behind the spring (a place where water is coming up from the ground).

2. "Old King Solomon is a bass," he said... "That fellow with the gun hooked him once, but couldn't hold him. Ever since, he's been tring to shoot him. Well, THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW; AND NOBODY'S GOING TO DO THAT IF I CAN HELP IT."
    Shooting King Solomon is against the law. The Game Warden states that no one is going to break the law if the Warden is able to stop them.

3. "Where does King Solomon hold court most of the time?" uI ASKED WITH A STUDIED EFFORT TO BE CASUAL. /u
    The narrator is doing his best (making a studied effort) to sound informal and relaxed (casual).

I have problems to understand the captional parts, and especially don't understand the following phrases:
    the game wanden, the undergrowth in back of the spring, to be casual, a mountain feud.
    Game Warden: An officer that is in charge of enforcing the laws that relate to hunting animals (sometimes called "game" in English).

Undergrowth: Thick plant growth like this.

In back of the spring: Behind a place where water comes up from the ground and makes a small pond or lake like this.

Casual: informal and relaxed

A mountain feud: I'm not quite sure what this is without context. The best explanation I can come up with is a feud (conflict or dispute, usually involving violence) between families that live in the mountains.

Thanks a lot.#up
    Hope that helps!

Please do not post the same question in two threads. I have merged them for you.
    Last edited by Anglika; 13-Nov-2008 at 23:37.

Smile Re: The Big Buffalo Bass

Dear thedeebo:

Thank you sooooooo.. much. Your thorough explanation DOES helped me. I benefit a lot. THANK YOU!