Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thatís the guy at fingered Abruzzi

Hi,

I have a question about this sentence, “That’s the guy at fingered Abruzzi.” Why does Tsili say “at fingered Abruzzi”, why not “fingered Abruzzi” ? If Tsili says “That’s the guy fingered Abruzzi”, I have no problem with this one, it means “That’s the guy who fingered Abruzzi”. But he says “That’s the guy at fingered Abruzzi.” What does this sentence mean? It means “That’s the guy who at fingered Abruzzi”? It is weird. Does anybody have any idea how I would get this sentence in a right way ?

Thanks for your help.

Maggio: All right, guys, pick it up! I want to get home tonight!
    Tsili : Maggio.
    M: Yeah? So?
    T: That's the guy at fingered Abruzzi.
    M: That's Fibanacci?
    T: Evidently, somebody found him.
    M: Somebody messing with us?
    T: This you're not gonna believe.
    M: What is it?

Re: Thatís the guy at fingered Abruzzi

Not a teacher.

Maybe the sentence is actually:

"That's the guy that fingered Abruzzi."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by thedeebo View Post
    Not a teacher.

Maybe the sentence is actually:

"That's the guy that fingered Abruzzi."
    Yes, especially if this is a transcript from listening, rather than, say, from a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, especially if this is a transcript from listening, rather than, say, from a novel.
    Hi, Raymott,

Thanks for your reply.

I heard this context again and I am sure that this script is right. He says, "That's the guy at fingered Abruzzi." not"That's the guy that fingered Abruzzi." So I guess you will tell me, grammatically, this sentence is wrong. (like the last question I asked you - If I'd have known. In fact, we should say, "If I had known") The man actually says "at fingered Abruzzi", but it is not correct in grammar, he should say "That's the guy who/that fingered Abruzzi." Is this what you wanted to tell me?

What is your opinion?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi, Raymott,

Thanks for your reply.

I heard this context again and I am sure that this script is right. He says, "That's the guy at fingered Abruzzi." not"That's the guy that fingered Abruzzi." So I guess you will tell me, grammatically, this sentence is wrong. (like the last question I asked you - If I'd have known. In fact, we should say, "If I had known") The man actually says "at fingered Abruzzi", but it is not correct in grammar, he should say "That's the guy who/that fingered Abruzzi." Is this what you wanted to tell me?

What is your opinion?
    Can you post this tape here? someone can check to see whether you heard it correctly or not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi, Xin!

The sentence has to be "That's the guy that fingered Abruzzi."

"That's the guy at fingered Abruzzi" makes absolutely no sense at all!!!

Where did you get the script? I will bet you a week's pay that there is a typo!

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Xin!

In the pilot episode the dialogue is as follows:

Maggio: Alright guys, lets pick it up. I wanna get home tonight.
    (A man walks in.)
    Tsili: Maggio. (Nods for Maggio to a small desk and places some papers onto them.)
    Maggio: Yeah so?
    Tisili: That’s the son of a bitch who fingered Abruzzi.
    Maggio: Fibonacci. (Looks closer, picking up the photo.) Thought that poke was gone. Clever.
    Tisili: Evidently somebody found him.
    Maggio: Somebody messin with us?
    Tisili: This you’re not going to believe.
    (Hands Maggio a manila envelope, which Maggio looks inside of.)

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi, Raymott,

Thanks for your reply.

What is your opinion?
    I might have been unclear. If you heard this, he may said "at" for "that", but if you read it, an author does not write "at" when he means "that", unless it's a screenplay where which he wants the actor to say "at" meaning "that".
    You say you heard it. So, I'll assume you didn't read it. You probably heard "at" correctly. He said "at". This means "that" in the speaker's dialect.
    Obviously it's grammatically wrong if everybody intends it to mean "at", but I don't think anyone does.

Your first post gives the dialogue, but you didn't indicate whether this was written or spoken. The possibilities are different even if your hearing is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I might have been unclear. If you heard this, he may said "at" for "that", but if you read it, an author does not write "at" when he means "that", unless it's a screenplay where which he wants the actor to say "at" meaning "that".
    You say you heard it. So, I'll assume you didn't read it. You probably heard "at" correctly. He said "at". This means "that" in the speaker's dialect.
    Obviously it's grammatically wrong if everybody intends it to mean "at", but I don't think anyone does.

Your first post gives the dialogue, but you didn't indicate whether this was written or spoken. The possibilities are different even if your hearing is perfect.

Raymott, you are right. He says "that", not "at". I comfirmed it in a Chinese website, it seems the scripts from this website is always rarely incorrect. I guess I should have checked it at this website before I asked this question.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Have a nice day.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Xin,

Are you enjoying the current season of "Prison Break"?

Cheers,
    Amigo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast