• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

use of "today " with present perfect simple

Hello all , I was wondering is it ok to use "TODAY" when speaking in the present perfect tense , for e.g. can we say , " I have been there today " sometimes I hear people using "today " with this structure , are they correct , my understanding was that you could not unless using " for " or " since " in the phrase ,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: use of "today " with present perfect simple

There are times you say things like "What? You need me to go to the store? Darn it, I've been there already once today - I sure didn't plan to go back"

Or -I've been to the store, the library, and the dry cleaners today and my errands are only half done.

How did you hear it used?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thanks Barb for your reply , I was giving a lesson , and in conversation the student and I were discussing the new D.I.Y store that opened in the town where we live , and she used this reply to my question , "HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE NEW STORE YET " ? . I was not sure whether to pull her up on it or not , but I have heard the expression said before, sometimes with "already" at the end ,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by dominicholohan View Post
    Thanks Barb for your reply , I was giving a lesson , and in conversation the student and I were discussing the new D.I.Y store that opened in the town where we live , and she used this reply to my question , "HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE NEW STORE YET " ? . I was not sure whether to pull her up on it or not , but I have heard the expression said before, sometimes with "already" at the end ,
    If you had pulled her up on it, she would have had grounds for feeling aggrieved, and losing trust in your judgement. You made a wise choice.
    But leaving aside the personal issue:
    She gave you an unambiguous answer. Yes, she has been there.
    She also added - being a good conversationalist - that not only had she been there, but she had been there on that very day. And she was bright enough not to need adverbs or refer to her grammar book! Perhaps she has a talent that needs nurturing rather than reigning in.

Just my perhaps over-romanticised opinion.

Just my perhaps over-romanticised opinion.

Blinding one, perhaps, to the issue that the girl can either answer the question directly using the present perfect - 'yes, I have'; or indirectly and thereby impart an extra piece of information - 'I was there today '- where the use of the Present Perfect is unnecessary - but not mix the two.

As BarbD points out, some situation where 'have been once today' is appropriate, yes, but...

Perhaps she has a talent that needs nurturing rather than reigning in.
    ...some people have a talent for proclaiming their judgments that definitely need reining in!
    Last edited by David L.; 16-Nov-2008 at 08:56.

Admittedly, to be perfectly correct she should have used the present perfect and then followed it up with the past simple. Yes I have. I was there today.

On the other hand, time and again I've heard BBC Radio 4 people telescoping the information into a present perfect form only. If the BBC can get away with it, why not a student?

Apart from anything else, as Raymott seems to suggest, it's not always a good idea for a teacher to barge in and curb a student's enthusiasm when he or she is speaking. In TEFL programmes, teachers have been warned against doing this.
    Last edited by naomimalan; 17-Nov-2008 at 08:54.

Apart from anything else, as Raymott seems to suggest, it's not always a good idea for a teacher to barge in and curb a student's enthusiasm when he or she is speaking. In TEFL programmes, teachers have been warned against doing this.

dominicholohan:Thanks Barb for your reply , I was giving a lesson ...

What, then, naomimalan? Not 'teach' in a lesson?

If the BBC can get away with it, why not a student?
    Could it be... because they want to learn correct grammar? Could it be because, unlike flip motor mouths on Radio 4 appealing to a highly specific audience, dominicholohan's students have Entrance Exams to pass, and a need for correct English in their careers? Outside the lesson...then... then, draw on what they derive from their formal tuition to engage in free conversation so they are used to speaking without mentally monitoring what is next to come out of their mouths.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by david l. View Post
    just my perhaps over-romanticised opinion.

blinding one, perhaps, to the issue that the girl can either answer the question directly using the present perfect - 'yes, i have'; or indirectly and thereby impart an extra piece of information - 'i was there today '- where the use of the present perfect is unnecessary - but not mix the two.

no, not at all. Her sentence was quite correct. The romanticisation came with assuming that she knew what she was saying; that her internal grammar checker had recognised the possible conflict, but let it pass, intuiting that the construction was correct in the context.

as barbd points out, some situation where 'have been once today' is appropriate, yes, but...
    i agree with barb.
    here's another appropriate usage:
    "have you been to the new store yet?"
    "i have been there today!" (not only have i been there. I was there today). It's a type of parallelism. I can understand why some might call it incorrect because it's not out of the book.

perhaps she has a talent that needs nurturing rather than reigning in.
    ...some people have a talent for proclaiming their judgments that definitely need reining in!
    i wouldn't suggest censorship being any more strict on this site than it already is. When you, for example, make a mistake, there are others who can correct you. So, at the moment, i don't think any further reigning in is necessary. As far as people who disagree with you, i think it's essential that they have a say.
    r.