using the word 'yet'

Can I write 'Youth is a song yet sung' to mean that youth is a song yet to be sung? This is not the exact quote, but close enough. It's a line in a poem, so meter is important, but I want to be sure about the meaning. I searched an unabridged dictionary, without success, but wondered if there is a poetic use of this word.

Re: using the word 'yet'

Youth is a song yet unsung

is the closest I can think of. It lacks the emotion and meaning of 'yet to be'
    Last edited by David L.; 14-Nov-2008 at 06:23.

It would help to have the text of the song to see if there is more to the sentence.

There's a book entitled Song Yet Sung, so I believed it must at least have some poetic meaning. I read the book, and if I interpreted correctly, understood that there was something good to be sung (about), at some point in the future.
    I'm writing a poem about a special place, and comparing it to a piece of music in the making. It's a place with such potential for greatness...and the phrase 'song yet sung' is pleasing to the ear. I would only use it if it means that this place has great promise, yet to be heard/seen. Also, is there any problem with using a phrase that has been a book title?

Not quite. To my ear, it means that a sentence preceding this says something like, 'a pointless/unnecessary/futile song' =(you add the appropriate repudiation),... but a song nevertheless sung= why did he? - why did he bother singing it?
    Last edited by David L.; 14-Nov-2008 at 17:44.