Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    sakr is offline Newbie

Re: I need a technique to learn vocabularies

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Read what is of interest to you personally - it may be cars or sport or clothes, whatever. Get a really good English/English dictionary as well as one for your own language/English. As you read, write new words in a notebook. Look them up. Write down what they mean. When you have your ten new words, set yourself an exercise to use them in sentences - up to five sentence each.

Once you have a pattern to learning new words, start reading other texts, about anything at all.

Using the words is more effective than merely learning them off by heart without any context.
    i think it's a good method.... let us try it

queen of dream is offline Newbie

I think the best way to learn new words
    is to buy some stories that display the number of the words that you can learn them throughout the story
    sometimes,they are about 300 or 500 hundred words
    you can memorize them well.

Best Wishes

veda123 is offline Newbie

Reading wide variety of topics is the best way to add new words to your vocabulary.the real challenge comes in remembering those.Here are few tips and techniques to improve your word list
    Increase Vocabulary Home

you can start with one word and then expand it by combining, adding prefix and so on
    for example: you have a word (verb or noun, adj, adv...)
    a word is house then you can list what is in house? and so on
    or a tree you can have leave, branch, root, flower and each of them you can widen more word.
    it is how to learn english.

All the major newspapers are on line. If you read through all the articles you will pick up new vocabulary very fast. The more formal articles about politics and finance differ from the language used on the sports pages.

Do three things: read, read, and read. If they're available, read "The Economist" and/or the "New York Times."
    Good luck!

janetlalbag is offline Newbie

Few Vocabulary Building Strategies

1. Open your mind like a child and you will learn words faster.
    Children can learn new words almost 200 times faster than grownups because of their open minds and inquisitive natures

2. Playing vocabulary games is a fun way to increase your vocabulary.
    Any word game you choose is bound to increase your vocabulary.
    3. While reading, list the unfamiliar words you see.
    Most readers do not completely understand what they're reading because they are inclined to disregard unfamiliar words as they read. While reading, make sure you have a notepad nearby so you can jot down any new word that you see.

4. Attach a mental image to the words.
    Your brain will remember a word better if there is a mental image associated with it. You can try creating your own mental pictures to correspond to new words that you are trying to learn

5. Find a way to make new words relevant to you.
    Studies have shown that the more relevant a word is, the easier it is to learn it. If you can attach some kind of relevance to every new word you encounter, you will tremendously increase your vocabulary, and at a very fast rate.
    6. Elaborate on the meaning of a word.
    Elaboration is a simple yet effective tool if you want to increase your vocabulary. The more you expand on a word, the more you can remember what it means.

7. Say words repeatedly.
    Word repetition is also an easy but effective method to increase your vocabulary.
    Last edited by Anglika; 12-Apr-2009 at 20:13. Reason: REmoval of unauthorised link

I agree with Soup that you can learn more vocabulary if you learn compound words and phrases. Once you learn new words, you have to try to use them. Otherwise, you may forget them!

zpyra is offline Newbie

Hi everyone
    Maybe I am old fashioned but I believe in the old fashioned way of studying vocabulary. Learning them from a list of words. This doesnt exclude other ways like reading books, watching films, posting notes on the bathroom walls etc I use an online tool www.vocabitor.com which has helped me a lot lately. I learn a lot in an organised way. I can easily go back to old words and repeat them etc.

I guess we are all different but it worked for me

Johan

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2