• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

mall / mole / moll / maul /

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the proper interpretation of the following article heading?

Fans mob 'Twilight' mall event

SAN FRANCISCO (UPI) -- A San Francisco publicity event for the new movie "Twilight" had to be canceled when thousands more fans than expected showed up, TMZ said.

There is a sentence which explains my bewilderment. Would you try and find some way to interpret it?

Offended by my remark about her "mole," the "moll" threatened to "maul" me in the parking lot of the "mall" (shopping center).

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: mall / mole / moll / maul /

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the proper interpretation of the following article heading?

Fans mob 'Twilight' mall event

SAN FRANCISCO (UPI) -- A San Francisco publicity event for the new movie "Twilight" had to be canceled when thousands more fans than expected showed up, TMZ said.

There is a sentence which explains my bewilderment. Would you try and find some way to interpret it?

Offended by my remark about her "mole," the "moll" threatened to "maul" me in the parking lot of the "mall" (shopping center).

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Hi, Vil! It's good to see you, again, my friend!

Your puzzling sentence contains 3 homophones (moll, maul, and mall) and another near-homophone 'mole'.

Let me paraphrase the sentence to clarify its meaning: "Offended by my remark about the black blemish (mole) on her face, the gangster's girlfriend (moll) threatened to beat me up (maul) in the parking lot of the shopping center (Mall)."

This was not a nice lady!

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi amigos4,

Thank you for your marvelous explanation.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post

Your puzzling sentence contains 3 homophones (moll, maul, and mall) and another near-homophone 'mole'.

Let me paraphrase the sentence to clarify its meaning: "Offended by my remark about the black blemish (mole) on her face, the gangster's girlfriend (moll) threatened to beat me up (maul) in the parking lot of the shopping center (Mall)."

This was not a nice lady!

Cheers,
    Amigo
    To me, there are two homophones there- maul/mall. Whether she's a homophone or just nearly one, she's definitely not a nice lady, though should a gentleman make such remarks?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    To me, there are two homophones there- maul/mall. Whether she's a homophone or just nearly one, she's definitely not a nice lady, though should a gentleman make such remarks?
    Hi, Tdol!

I see three homophones in the sentence - maul/mall/moll. Are we splitting hairs (or hares????) here ( or hear????)? Or, is this another instance of pronunciation differences between AmE and BrE?

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post

In Am English, maybe.

In Br English, they are four distinct vowels: /ɔ, ɔ:, æ, əɷ/ [your order]. Tdol sees a near homophone in "maul/mall", but the traditional (and RBP) pronunciation of "mall" is /mæl/. Some British English speakers have adopted something more like the American pronunciation, in the context of a shopping mall.

And /ɔ, ɔ:/ are certainly not near-homophones - not as near as the phonemic transcription suggests.

(Latin was much better at this sort of word-play: the same consonants remind me of this jingle - malo malo malo malo [=I would rather be up an apple tree than a wicked man in adversity].)

b