teaching pre intermediate class how to write an apology

hello,

i need some help as i am all out of ideas and have to plan a lesson for monday morning which shows my pre int class how to write an apology. I have to think of an interesting way to get them to use the languagein the lesson. Any ideas would be gratefully received!!

Thanks

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: teaching pre intermediate class how to write an apology

Perhaps give them several different scenarios and ask them to compose an apology appropriate to each one.

For example, a formal apology: They misbehaved in school but their behavior was misinterpreted. Maybe they impulsively kissed a classmate on a dare, and now they are being charged with "sexual harassment." They must write a formal letter to the school administration explaining that their actions were all in fun and not meant to be abusive or harmful.

An informal apology: They accepted an invitation to a friend's birthday party, and for some reason did not attend. They write a note with an explanation (I was sick, my mom wasn't home and couldn't drive me there, my family had to go out of town at the last minute, etc) and a sincere apology for missing the festivities.

A casual apology: One of their school friends suddenly snubs them, and they don't know why. They write a short note to hand to them in class or slip into their locker: "Did I do something to offend you? If so, I apologize...." That sort of thing.

Hope this was of some help.

Re: teaching pre intermediate class how to write an apology

Hiya,

Thanks so much for your advice. I've been struggling with this all day! How would you suggest i actually highlight the language used when writing an informal apology note? The only language specific to an informal apology note i can think of would be the variations of 'i'm sorry' ( i'm really sorry, i'm so sorry)? I have set contexts like this for writing lessons in the past, therefore, i'm not sure the assessor will consider this to be an 'interesting' way to use the language??

Post Re: teaching pre intermediate class how to write an apology

Thanks for having the opportunity to learn and improve upon my english language.