Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 596
    #1

    on the shelf, in the shelf

    hi,

    Is it possible to say

    in a shelf of my bookcase there aren't books but there are my videogames


    ?

    Thanks rip

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,211
    #2

    Re: on the shelf, in the shelf

    It is more likely "on" a shelf or "in" a drawer.

    If you do hear "in" a shelf, then I would visualize a rather short shelf, almost tightly confined, open only in the front. We might call it a "nook" or "cubby." Think, perhaps, of shelves in school hallways designed only for kids' shoes; one shelf per pair of shoes, very small area. That's because the "in" suggests a tighter confinement than is suggested by "on."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 596
    #3

    Re: on the shelf, in the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    It is more likely "on" a shelf or "in" a drawer.

    If you do hear "in" a shelf, then I would visualize a rather short shelf, almost tightly confined, open only in the front. We might call it a "nook" or "cubby." Think, perhaps, of shelves in school hallways designed only for kids' shoes; one shelf per pair of shoes, very small area. That's because the "in" suggests a tighter confinement than is suggested by "on."

    It's a shelf of a bookcase, so on the back side there is the wall; on the left and on the right there is the frame of the bookcase...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,211
    #4

    Re: on the shelf, in the shelf

    As I said, normally "on" the shelf is most appropriate. "In" would be an exception.

    Standard bookcase? Things are on the shelves, in the bookcase, in the hall.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 596
    #5

    Re: on the shelf, in the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    As I said, normally "on" the shelf is most appropriate. "In" would be an exception.

    Standard bookcase? Things are on the shelves, in the bookcase, in the hall.


    I am not sure I understood your explanations

    on a shelf - in a bookcase

    But if a bookcase is made up of shelves?
    Thanks again and sorry

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,211
    #6

    Re: on the shelf, in the shelf

    The shelves are IN the bookcase, not ON the bookcase.

    If you put something ON the bookcase, it will be on the top of the case, not on a shelf within the case.

    0
    ===
    ===

    That's ON




    ===
    0
    ===

    That's IN

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: on the shelf, in the shelf

    Incidentally, in former - less politically correct - times, a woman nearing her thirties but remaining unmarried was said to be 'on the shelf'.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 596
    #8

    Re: on the shelf, in the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Incidentally, in former - less politically correct - times, a woman nearing her thirties but remaining unmarried was said to be 'on the shelf'.

    b
    Well, I am on the shelf. HI HI

Similar Threads

  1. upwards vs up
    By Guest_bright in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2007, 11:06
  2. leave something upon the shelf
    By retro in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Mar-2007, 08:06
  3. Shelf Life
    By ontohodz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Jul-2006, 06:19
  4. Shelf Life
    By ontohodz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jul-2006, 05:36
  5. expressions about fridge
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2005, 14:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •