Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 732
    #1

    in which vs. when

    Hello everyone

    I'd like to ask which one (in which or when) is more appropriate in the following sentence and if I need "being" after information:

    According to international standards of freedom of information, journalists and mass media should not be responsible in all cases in which/when they cannot and should not verify the authenticity of the information (being) published, but act in good faith and in interests of society.

  1. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #2

    Re: in which vs. when

    It should be "in all cases in which" because cases is not time.
    "being" is not needed.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 732
    #3

    Re: in which vs. when

    Quote Originally Posted by whitemoon View Post
    It should be "in all cases in which" because cases is not time.
    "being" is not needed.
    Thank you very much, whitemoon.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #4

    Re: in which vs. when

    They should be 'responsible' at all times, just like every citizen.
    What is intended, is that they "should not be held responsible"

    "in all cases": since the normal expectation is that information will be verified, then they "should not be held responsible for any instance in which"

    ... they cannot and should not verify

    this should be: '...they should and cannot verify...' .Is there ever a case in which a journalist should not verify information?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 732
    #5

    Re: in which vs. when

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    They should be 'responsible' at all times, just like every citizen.
    What is intended, is that they "should not be held responsible"

    "in all cases": since the normal expectation is that information will be verified, then they "should not be held responsible for any instance in which"

    ... they cannot and should not verify

    this should be: '...they should and cannot verify...'
    Thank you very much, David.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 468
    #6

    Re: in which vs. when

    Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

    I'd like to ask which one (in which or when) is more appropriate in the following sentence and if I need "being" after information:

    According to international standards of freedom of information, journalists and mass media should not be responsible in all cases when they cannot and should not verify the authenticity of the information published, but act in good faith and in interests of society.
    Not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 732
    #7

    Re: in which vs. when

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepurple View Post
    Not a teacher.
    Thank you very much, Deepurple.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •