1. Unregistered

Question Watercycle or Water Cycle

Our Dutch company has changed its name and has included Watercycle Research Institute in its name. To my opinion this is incorrect English, because Watercycle should be two separate words (Water Cycle). However people from our public relation department claim that Watercycle written as one word can be used in english as well. I hope you can help me by telling if our public relation department is correct.

Kind regards

Paul

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Watercycle or Water Cycle

It's a coined word; it has no heritage so the public relations folk can do whatever they like. They will probably even spell it as WaterCycle or such, as that is very trendy now.

It's a logical word configuration, however, considering bicycle or motorcycle, or even recycle, which are all single words. In fact, it is easier to read and understand, than it would be as two separate words.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It does appear in one dictionary in OneLook, which searches hundreds of online dictionaries:
    watercycle - Definition of watercycle at Your Dictionary
    However, their definition refers to pedalos.

It is used in URL titles and appears in Google searches, but if you open the pages, they seem to use two words. As Jlinger says, it is a logical form and when two words become closely associated they can join to become one, so it's not wrong. And in company names, there's a lot of leeway so I don't think many people would look at it and say it's wrong.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Thank you Tdol. It is refreshing to find, in this Forum, someone who agrees with me for a change. And from the UK as well! Others here from that country have been trying very hard to give me an inferiority complex. And that is not likely going to happen!

(I do love debating this language with Aussies, Kiwis, Canucks, Yankees and Brits, however. It is a living, changing, adaptable, and really -when you get down to analyzing it - fun language!)