• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

set yourself up

The following sentences are from do's and don'ts when you have online dating and I can't understand the exact meaning of the underlined parts. Can you please explain ?

1.Don't use the photo that makes you look like a professional model. DOn't set yourself up to be a disappointment. You want to exceed expectation.

2. Do be happy. A good attitude is important. I don't care if someone kidnapped your dog. If you are even a little bit depressed or angry, you can kiss your chance of developing a serious connection goodbye. Topics to avoid: an unfulfilled yearing for desire, and a deep mistrust of others.

Re: set yourself up

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    The following sentences are from do's and don'ts when you have online dating and I can't understand the exact meaning of the underlined parts. Can you please explain ?

1.Don't use the photo that makes you look like a professional model. DOn't set yourself up to be a disappointment. You want to exceed expectation. If you use a photo that makes you appear exceptionally beautiful or handsome whereas you are averagely good looking, the other person will be disappointed when they see you in the flesh. You will be a disappointment to them.
    The second highlighted sentence means that you hope that you will appear better looking in the flesh than your photo implies.

2. Do be happy. A good attitude is important. I don't care if someone kidnapped your dog. If you are even a little bit depressed or angry, you can kiss your chance of developing a serious connection goodbye. Topics to avoid: an unfulfilled yearning for desire, and a deep mistrust of others. Anger or depression are real put-offs to someone looking for a good relationship. No-one will want to know more about you.

"An unfulfilled yearning for desire" - You make it clear that you are not an attractive person since you have not had a fulfilled relationship.