• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Is the sentence correct?

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask if the following sentence is grammatically correct and understandable:

The term to begin issue/issuance of a mass medium is limited to three months for printing mass media and six months for electronic mass media since the date of receiving a certificate of registration.

The intended meaning is as follows:

A mass medium has been registered. But it can begin to work only after three months (for printing mass media) or six months (for electronic mass media) are passed.

For example, a newspaper is registered on Junuary 1. The first issuance of the newspaper can be made only on April 1.
    Last edited by KLPNO; 20-Nov-2008 at 00:09.

Re: Is the sentence correct?

How about this:

The point at which a new printed item of mass media can be initiated will be three months from registration, and that for electronic mass media will be six months from registration.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    How about this:

The point at which a new printed item of mass media can be initiated will be three months from registration, and that for electronic mass media will be six months from registration.
    Thank you very much, Anglika.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I have to admit that when I continued to read the russian original I realized that I misunderstood the meaning of the sentence. The meaning turned out to be quite the opposite, i.e. a registered mass media should not wait for 3 or 6 months. It should begin to work and if it doesn't the registration will be cancelled.

So, here is my new version:

The term during which a mass medium should begin to put out its products is limited to 3 months for a print mass media outlet and to 6 months for electronic mass media since the date of receiving a certificate of registration.

Does it sound understandable to English speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    I have to admit that when I continued to read the russian original I realized that I misunderstood the meaning of the sentence. The meaning turned out to be quite the opposite, i.e. a registered mass media should not wait for 3 or 6 months. It should begin to work and if it doesn't the registration will be cancelled.

So, here is my new version:

The term during which a mass medium should begin to put out its products is limited to 3 months for a print mass media outlet and to 6 months for electronic mass media from the date of receiving a certificate of registration.

Does it sound understandable to English speakers?
    It is not a mass medium that produces something, but a publishing company or a production company that produces a mass medium.

The term during which a company must begin to release its products is limited to 3 months from date of certification/registration for print mass media and to 6 months for electronic mass media.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is not a mass medium that produces something, but a publishing company or a production company that produces a mass medium.

The term during which a company must begin to release its products is limited to 3 months from date of certification/registration for print mass media and to 6 months for electronic mass media.
    Thank you very much, Anglika.